Sunday, May 9, 2010

Home Plate

"Slide into Home Plate for a home run meal!"*




Home Plate is a very "Safe!" bet for a nice morning repast. They are on Lombard Street** in the Marina/Cow Hollow area, right across the street from iHop (I spell it like that as I know that Steven Jobs is trying to purchase the restaurant chain so that everyone in America is forced to eat franchised pancakes while talking on their damn cell phones).

http://www.homeplatesf.com/

In keeping with their Baseball-y theme, there are lots of old Baseball photos along the walls:
two of Babe Ruth (one as a Boston Red Sox player and one with the D*mn Y*nkees); 2-3 of Willie Mays; a nice montage of Stan "the Man" Musial at the plate swinging away; and even one of some skinny Italiano kid named Joe "Di"-something or other.
There are also recent photos taken of some local places: Golden Gate Bridge, Muir Woods, and more.

I had the Greek Frittata ~ 3 eggs, spinach, tomatoes, Feta cheese, and "calamata"*** olives; which is served with two potato-carrot pancakes with a decent homemade Apfelmus (Steven Jobs/Apple, take note) and sour cream, and toast (I chose sourdough). (This is a minor point, as the meal had plenty of carbohydrates in it already, but they only give you one slice of toast, not the normal two slices.) And not to keep striking that deceased equine with a shoot of asparagus from last week, but this bad boy was Chock full o' Spinach, Feta, and Kalamata Olives (I have noticed that most places are really stingy when it comes to Kalamata olives). I thought that maybe red onions might have been a nice addition to the mix, but that is just me.

All breakfasts also come with a fresh-baked mini-scone and two types of their homemade jams: today it was apple-cinnamon butter (completely separate from their Apfelmus) and strawberry jam.

D'oh! I forgot to take a picture of the meal before "digging in and cleaning up at the plate"… I almost thought about asking the lady at the next table, who had also ordered the Greek Frittata, if I could take a picture of her meal; but that mighta been kinda strange… even for me. I had my camera with me, I was just too intent on enjoying the meal that I completely forgot. (And I just know how people are really enthralled by my exquisite photomographical expertise here.)

I had a cuppa the house joe and it was just standard, nothing really much of which to speak. They do have both Cholula® and Tabasco® already on every table. (The frittata was already tasty enough, anyway, but I still added a little Cholula® on half of it.)

So, "Slide on in" or just "steal Home" for an "All-Star" breakfast!


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Frittata ~ 7.2; Potato-carrot Pancakes ~ 7.1; Mini-scone ~ 7.0; Coffee ~ 5.8


*(This is their actual cornball slogan, but I couldn't have come up with a better one. I didn't have the heart to explain to them that if it were a "Home Run", sliding into Home Plate really wouldn't be necessary; unless it were an "Inside the Park Home Run", of course.)

 
**(Which is better know as "the Crookedest Street in America… west of Pennsylvania Avenue".)

 
***("Calamata" was their spelling of the word. A better transliteration of the Greek word "
Καλαμάτα" would be "Kalamata". It's really not that big of a deal, but I figured I'd point it out 'cause I can. I didn't take any points off for spelling, though.)

No comments:

Post a Comment