Friday, January 14, 2011

Zama Golf Club Restaurant (Japan, 01/14/11)

Today, a special cross-post, done by my friend Jim Turner, who has his own 'blog, Hawksbill Cabin, a favourite of mine. You can catch his 'blog by checking out the 'blogroll to the right.†


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c98qdFQF7sw




I’m visiting Japan on business and have been here a few days, staying at Army Base Camp Zama. When I first arrived, we drove past the golf course with its excellent sign, suggesting that there would be worthwhile views here (although Fuji-san is not visible...false advertising) – and then I got to base lodging, where I found the menu conveniently included in a welcome packet. And so, finding time on my hands before my first meeting on Thursday, I took a brisk stroll over to the Zama Golf Club restaurant for breakfast.




On first impression, it looks like any other golf club, so I walked in and took a seat near the window overlooking the first tee and #6 green. The décor, colors and furniture, reminded me of a Los Feliz favorite, House of Pies*, from the old days in Los Angeles (I used to golf more then, too), so I was soon comfortable and got busy with the menu.


The first item there is “The Eagle**” combo, which sounds promising at just $5.25: two eggs your way, two sausage patties, and French toast with maple syrup. That’s a bit much for me at breakfast, so I went to the second item: “The Early Riser” – although I was clearly not up all that early – for $4.95 you get two eggs your way, choice of meat, toast and grits or hash browns (rice is a third choice on most menus here). A southern boy, I was tempted by the grits but since I planned to cross-post this review, thought I'd better go with Brian’s "favourite," the hash browns.

Now there is a notable third item on this menu called the “Run-A-Way”: an English muffin with fried egg, cheese, and a choice of meat (spam – incredibly popular here, people give it as a gift! – sausage, or bacon). If I go back, I might just check the box on that one.


After placing my order I got busy with the other Breakfast at Epiphany’s tasks. For condiments, we had basic red Tabasco, and soy sauce; there was also liquefied Sweet and Low (no thank you, refined white sugar is fine by me). My coffee arrived, and it was a robust blend, so I asked about it. I hoped to hear “Suntory Boss” because of the great Tommy Lee Jones commercials here in Japan***, or “Georgia” because I had one of those from a vending machine and got quite a jolt. But no dice, this was a bulk packaged restaurant dark roast, although the bag proclaimed Latin American heritage.


The food arrived just as the waitron gave me a refill on my coffee. I enjoyed the meal, although I have to admit I wish I’d been as resourceful as Brian for my condiments, I’m really not fond of the vinegary taste of Tabasco. Also, there wasn't any jam for the two slices of toast I had left over after soaking up the over easy yolks. Still, on a sunny morning with a beautiful view across the rolling hills of a golf course, in Japan, that’s a disappointment I quickly got over.

Glen Bacon Scale rating: “The Early Riser:” 6.8 – it would probably have fared better if (1) I picked the grits, or (2) I had something besides Tabasco to spice it up a bit; Generic Latin American dark roast: 7.0. If I do come back to this base, it’s inevitable that I’ll have breakfast here again.

*House of Pies is a local landmark in what was then the trendy Los Feliz neighborhood of LA, before I moved away and Silver Lake got trendier. Obviously they are famous for their pies, but you can get a good breakfast there, and you’ll probably be dining with an incognito celebrity or two.

**The Eagle, in this context, could refer to the patriotic symbol of these United States, or to the very desirable golf score you get if you finish a hole two under par (also known as a hole-in-one if you’re on a par three).

***I did a whole post on this topic on my blog:


http://hawksbillcabin.blogspot.com/2011/01/altcoffeejp.html

†(I copied and pasted most of this directly from Jim's 'blog, so if you have any "probelems" with any "mispelings" take it up with Jim ~ he's about 6'3" and truly "Big In Japan".

I was especially proud of his Glen Bacon Scale rating prowess.

Now if Jim thinks I'm gonna reciprocate by doing a hiking post, he's gonna have to wait a very long while.)

No comments:

Post a Comment