Sunday, September 19, 2010

Chloe♥s Cafe


(Because Steves Cafe just doesn't sound quite as breakfast-y)




I went to Chloes again over in outer Noe Valley (right on the corner of Church & 26th Streets, as the above street signs depict). It is still currently #3 in my Breakfast Rotation (and has been for several years), so I had to revisit it again this Summer while the weather is still nice enough. As it were, the weather was perfect this morning, even if I had wanted to sit outside at one of their several sidewalk tables (I didn't, but should have). While waiting outside before they opened, the smells coming from the kitchen were excellent (probably the preparation for their good home fried potatoes). I still have no idea who "Chloe" actually is. The waitress did not know either (possibly the original owner?); she told me that the current owner's name is Steve.




Today I ordered off their Specials Board. Special Scramble: two scrambled eggs with fresh spinach, roasted yellow bell peppers, red onion, and a choice of cheese (Jarlsberg, Cheddar, cream cheese, or Feta); served with a cup of fresh fruit or home fries, and a choice of toast. I went with the Feta, as Feta and spinach are always a tasty combination, Ζορμπάς! For the toast choice, there really is no other choice for me, as their White Rosemary toast* is the best. I am sure their other breads/toasts are good, too, but this is one of the reasons I keep going back to Chloes. And, as always, potatoes over fresh fruit ~ what am I, some kinda fruity vegetarian or something?!

The scramble included lots of fresh spinach; however, there was really not as much Feta as I would have liked (I know that they usually pile the Jarlsberg on whenever I order that cheese); and I am not so sure that it was authentic Greek Feta** (I asked the waitress and she checked in the kitchen, but she couldn't say for sure). All in all it was still very good. I also ordered a cuppa coffee ~ which was surprisingly good for a change; they usually have pretty weak and flavourless coffee.






I knew ahead of time that they only have Red/plain Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce on the tables, so I brought two of my own: Sylvia's Restaurant® Kickin' Hot ~ Hot Sauce and Roland® Piri-Piri with Lemon. I went with the Roland® (sorry, Sean), which is a Portuguese import. You know what they say? When in Greece, do as the Portuguese do. Plus the ingredients were pretty interesting: lemon, piri-piri peppers, fig vinegar, onions, salt, sugar, and spices (whereas plain ol' Tabasco® is just peppers, vinegar, and salt).

I had to take a shot of their tablecloth; the theme is perfect for breakfast.






Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Special Scramble ~ 7.2; White Rosemary toast ~ 7.2


*(There is actually a restaurant in town with the moniker of Toast. There are two locations that I know of, and both are in Noe Valley. I have eaten at each of the locations: the one on Church Street ~ just a few blocks from Chloes coincidentally ~ and the one on 24th Street. The funny part is that their standard "toast" that is served with breakfast is really nothing much of which to speak. Their breakfasts are good enough, but do not warrant the lines of people waiting to get in on the weekends. I will have to go back again one day and 'blog on it, but it is not a priority with me as the "toast" was rather disappointing. This would be kinda like going all the way to Paris and getting served crummy French fries.)


**(It could possibly have been Bulgarian or French Feta; neither of which are as good as Greek Feta. It didn't quite have the distinct flavour or saltiness that I am used to with "real Greek Feta cheese". If it is not "
αυθεντική ελληνική φέτα", they should not be able to call it as such; anywhere else but France, "sparkling wine" can not use the nomenclature of "Champagne", after all; and don't even get me started on that whole moutard de Dijon-Grey Poupon® debacle!)

No comments:

Post a Comment