Sunday, September 5, 2010

Savor

... as in flavor*




Savor is located over in the "gentrificated" part of 24th Street in Noe Valley. I had originally planned on going to Savor last weekend, but was sidetracked by the little Chihuahua (and I don’t mean that mean ol' monster, Mini De Niro ~ "Hi, Cheri!"). They have a nice, covered (retractable canvas awning thingy) patio area; however, as it was still early in the morning and a bit chilly, I wimped out and opted for a table right next to one of their gas-burning fireplaces (which is more for atmosphere than actual heat it seems). 




They just have way too many good choices on their breakfast menu. I finally decided to go with one of their Savor-y crepes; don't get me wrong, most of their omelette selections looked great, also, I just wanted to try something different for a change. All of their crepes are served with "home potatoes" (their actual term) and mixed greens.

I chose the Cypress: Spinach, onion, olives (real
Καλαμάτα, ευχαριστώ πολύ), roasted almonds, and Feta cheese with a yogurt cucumber sauce (bka τζατζίκι); however, the Mazatlan: Avocado, tomatoes, sharp Cheddar, and chipotle peppers with salsa fresca and sour cream ~ was also a nice looking choice. I rounded out the meal with a cuppa coffee and a cranberry juice-lemonade mix. 




The crepe was excellent, and it was chock-full-o': Καλαμάτα olives, spinach (even though I just had a nice heaping portion of spinach, Hamli, last night for dinner at an Ethiopian restaurant ~ "Hi, Alan!"), and Feta (in nice big chunks, not chintzy little crumbles). The home potatoes (which always taste better'n those "away potatoes") were also very good. The τζατζίκι was a bit disappointing, but still okay; there did not seem to be enough (or any?) garlic in it and the portion was rather small, too.

Well, I never been to Cypress ("… but I kinda like the music, Say the ladies are insane there, And they sure know how to use it… "), and I am not sure if almonds are a major part of their cuisine. I thought it an odd addition to a savory crepe, but it actually worked nicely in the mix. I think the addition of some cinnamon or fresh ground nutmeg would have been interesting in the crepe (or some sort of Greek herbs and spices ~ oregano or something), as this always pairs nicely with spinach or other dark greens (dandelion, beets, chard, kale, etc.).

They only have Tabasco® (both Red/Standard and Green/Jalapeño) and Tapatío® (I forgot to bring any of my own stash). I went with the Jalapeño, but it was not really necessary as I dumped most of the
τζατζίκι on top of the potatoes, which was the best way to go ~ πατάτες με τζατζίκι is always a winner.

I finished everything on my plate except for most of the salad: "Can I have a 'bunny bag' for my leftover salad?".


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Cyprus Crepe ~ 7.0; Home Potatoes ~ 6.7


*(I would generally type this as "flavour" in the Britishlander style, but this spelling went better with the name of the restaurant, and I could not get them to change it to "Savour".)

No comments:

Post a Comment