Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Bistro Restaurant @ Cliff House

Popovers(!), etc.



http://www.cliffhouse.com/bistro/lunch.html


This was my fourth visit to the Bistro Restaurant @ Cliff House this year (see my last post from Sunday, August 22, 2010). There were hardly any surfers out on Ocean Beach this morning due to it being pretty overcast and gloomy, and the view from the restaurant windows wasn't that spectacular because of it.

Today's Hollywoodland Celebrity Autograph Wall (above my table):
















(Picture 1, top to bottom)


(A very young) John Carradine; Freddie Bartholomew
Ronnie Schell (really?); Betty Grable
Susan Hayward; David Niven
William “Fred Mertz” Frawley; Eleanore ???*













(Picture 2, top to bottom)


???; Amos Alonzo Stagg (enshrined in both the College Football Hall of Fame and the Basketball Hall of Fame)
Charlie Ruggles; ???
???, ???,???, ???; (George) Burns & (Gracie) Allen

I tried something on the menu that I don‘t think I have ever had there before. I had Joe's Special Scramble ~ Scrambled Eggs with Sautéed Ground Beef (skipped this ingredient), Onions, Mushrooms, and Spinach, topped with Parmesan Cheese. It comes with fresh seasonal fruit, roasted potatoes…
… and Popovers(!).

This is made with lots of fresh spinach, onions, and (sorry, Skip) lots and lots of button mushrooms (Crimini?). This is definitely not one for the fungi-haters out there. I think the addition of some sun-dried tomatoes would really put this dish over the top.

I also had a cuppa their very decent house coffee, which is Peerless Coffee & Teas®.

http://www.peerlesscoffee.com/




For hot sauces, I had brought a few of my own and I went with a little El Yucateco® Chipotle Habanero on the eggs and some Trees Can't Dance Tree Fire Sauce on the roasted potatoes. (Thanks again, Greg & Cindy! See ya tomorrow.)

As always, the breakfast was top-notch, but I really keep going back for the most excellent Popovers(!).


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Joe's Special Scramble~ 6.6; Coffee ~ 6.4; (most excellent) Popovers(!) ~ 8.(1)2(1110)


*(Any help in identifying these "???"/unknowns is much appreciated. I should have been able to discern a few of them, as they look very familiar; however, even the friendly, knowledgeable staff couldn't tell me who they were. They were up too high to really get a good look at their signatures/names.)

No comments:

Post a Comment