Saturday, September 29, 2012

Rigalo Café

You don't necessarily have to call me "Maurice" (and I have absolutely no idea what a "Pompatus of Love" is).



http://rigolocafe.com/




(I have it under good authority that the second song is going to be used as Mitt Romney's victory song if he wins the Presidential Election this year.)


Je suis returné à Rigalo un petit Café amusant[1] (see previous 'blog-entry from May 1st, 2011).  They are located in the Laurel Village strip mall on California Street. I like that they open up pretty early (7:30am every day); however, they don't have "hot breakfasts" available until 8:00am. It's a pretty simple ordering process; you order at the counter and pay first, and then the counter persons/servers will bring the food to you when it is ready.

I was wrong the last time when I said the counter persons/servers wore shirts that resembled the old-style convict uniforms that you see in the Three Stooges shorts, those were vertical stripes. The shirts worn by the staff are actually thick, horizontal, black-and-white stripes, more like you would have seen worn by the stereotypical burglar in the old silent films (just sans any black eye-masks, Tonto). And did those old convicts really need to look slimmer?

Rigalo Café's 
petit déjeuner menu offers several Oeufs Bénédictines, omelettes or scrambles, and a few French Crusty Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. I went back this morning mainly to check out their version of Pain Perdu ~ thick-sliced organic brioche bread soaked in egg custard and butter griddled, served with sweet fresh berries and fresh whipped cream. I also ordered a side of Herb-Roasted Potatoes and a very decent (good and strong) cuppa Equator Coffee (I am not sure if it was a French Roast or not).




This was a good version of Pain Perdu; however, it was not Baker Street Bistro, not that I was expecting it to be as good. This was served as two thick slices of (what I assume was) fresh-baked brioche bread. The sweet, fresh berries included strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries. I liked the fresh whipped cream, too. My one minor complaint was that it was a rather smallish side portion of potatoes, but it was still enough to fill me up with the large serving of Pain Perdu.

Rigalo Café ont seulement pour condimentary supplementation Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (the standard rouge). I remembered this from my last visit (or rather, I reread what I had written last year) and used some of my own CaJohns Fiery Foods Oaxacan Hot Sauce (Thanks, Brian!) on the potatoes.

I hope everyone has a ton of rigolade this weekend… Midnight toking[2] or not!


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Pain Perdu ~ 6.4


[1] Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer du jour:

Do I really need to translate "amusant" from French? Well, it simply means "funny", "entertaining", "humourous", "enjoyable", and one other amusing word that escapes me at the moment.

[2] Now this is très amusant. The Spell-check Nazis at Microsoft® do not seem to recognize this word. You just know that those stoned bastages are sitting around right now and enjoying a little doobage* of their own.

*(And they also pretend to not know this word or its alternate spelling "dubage".)

No comments:

Post a Comment