Saturday, September 1, 2012

pomelo

Refreshingly Global




http://www.pomelosf.com/


I went back to pomelo (see last 'blog-entry from February 4th, 2012) for an "intimate, simple, and undeniably global" (but, refreshingly, unreasonable attitude-free) breakfast this morning. pomelo is located at the end of Church Street (at 30th Street) over in Noe Valley. I was very happy to see that there were no rules that needed to be followed to eat breakfast there this morning and especially that there were no blue-haired tranny harpies scaring away paying customers at the door.

There are many good "Brunch" (their term, not mine) choices on the menu from which to choose. I've eaten here several times in the past and have tried many of the dishes already. All "Brunch" meals start with a complimentary fresh-baked muffin or pastry of some sort. Today's entry was a strawberry-rhubarb mini-muffin; I had gotten there as soon as they opened this morning so it was very fresh and still warm right out of the oven. For the meal I went with ulsan (Korea) ~ pa-jeon Korean scallion pancakes with scallops[1], prawns, red and green chiles[2], egg and spicy dipping sauce. I also ordered a side of house potatoes and a bottomless cuppa Mr. Espresso® coffee, which is very good coffee.

http://mrespresso.com/





I asked for the pancake (which is actually a large and singular one, and served in eight wedges) without the scallops and prawns. This was good, but not exactly what I was expecting. I knew it wasn't going to be your standard IHOP®-variety pancake (at least I wouldn't have assumed to use any maple syrup on it), but I seemed to think it looked a bit differently the last time I was there (which is probably due to the dead, decaying mollusks and marine insects missing from on top of it). This was actually pretty spicy with lots of fresh, sliced red and green chillies in it; it also had lots of scallions. The dipping sauce may have had some spice to it, too, but I really couldn't tell; it was some kinda ginger-soy sauce based one that tasted good enough to me.

Knowing that pomelo has a decent condimentary supplementation selection: Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (both Green and Chipotle) and Cholula®, I didn't bring any of my own hot sauces with me today. I went with some Chipotle generously on the potatoes, and just a little Green on a few wedges of the pancake.

Okay, next time I go back to pomelo, I really have to try the makena (banana-stuffed mascarpone brioche French toast with roasted macadamias and warm coconut syrup), which looks like it would be a very good version of French toast.


Glen Bacon Scale Ratingulsan ~ 6.4; Strawberry-rhubarb mini-muffin~ 7.0


[1] Stupid, useless cunning linguist/pseudo-etymological pointer du jour:

 
The word "scallop" comes from Old French "escalope", which means "shell".

 
[2] Not really a stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer, just a spelling/grammatical pointer:

 
They had this spelled as "chiles" on the menu. This is an accepted plural form of "chile" (also "chili" or "chilli").

No comments:

Post a Comment