Sunday, January 6, 2013

SanJalisco™

An extra corny[1] desayuno



http://www.sanjalisco.com/



(Yes, that is Sir Paul singing his hit song from the 70's, "Maybe I'm A-maize-d".)

 

I can't believe it has been almost two years since my last breakfast at SanJalisco™ (see last 'blog-entry from February 5th, 2011), but it was more than time for a return visit. By the way, there is no "Saint Jalisco", but if there were, I am sure he'd be the "Patron Saint of the Little Guy" (see 'blog-entry from June 19th, 2010 for an explanation). This is one of my favourite restaurants in the Mission, either for el desayuno, el almuerzo, o la cena.

Not only do they have a pretty decent printed breakfast menu (both "Desayunos Mexicano" and "Breakfast American Style"), but they offer a few weekend specials that most good Mexican restaurants always have: Pozole de Puerco, Birria de Chivo, Menudo, and Caldo de Res. Now, as a vegetarian I have never had any of those dishes (and in the case of Menudo, I am kinda glad I haven't). For breakfast this morning, I ordered Chilaquiles Veronica ~ corn tortilla bits scrambled with two large eggs, cheese, onions and salsa, complemented with chorizo[2], nopales, and fresh Mexican-style sour cream. These are served with choice of beans (I went with frijoles refritos) and rice, and fresh, homemade corn tortillas. I also had a cuppa café mexicano (meaning I add 2-3 sugars con mucha leche), which has become una tradición with me whenever I eat at a Mexican restaurant for breakfast.





I have had their standard version of chilaquiles several times before, but this was the first time I had this particular version (of course, sin salchicha de cerdo muerto en descomposición). The nopales were a very nice addition to a typical chilaquiles. What can be said about fresh, warm off the grill, homemade corn tortillas, but "Mmm-mmm!" (I am not sure how to say that en español); I only got two tortillas this morning, but they still were more than enough with all the other food, besides, I am sure they would have given me more if I asked for some. Their chilaquiles salsa is a bit different (less spicy, but flavourful ~ which is usually the case at most places) from the salsa provided with the corn chips.

For condimentary supplements, SanJaliscoonly has Tapatío®  for bottled hot sauces, which is completely superfluous as they have their own homemade, fresh salsa roja. I put this to good use on just about everything (except in my café, but I thought about it).

Shameless (but completely un-corny) Promotion of another old Air Force Comrade's Book
 

An old Air Force comrade (and a fellow Cunning Linguist from the 6912th ESS, Marienfelde Station, West Berlin, Germany), Penny Blankenship, is the illustrator of a new book (I have no idea who the author is, but who really reads books for the words, anyway?) that has just been published. It is currently available on-line from Amazon.com for those of you that like to read (or look at pictures) and/or like dogs.

http://www.amazon.com/Let-Dogs-Speak-Marianne-McKiernan/dp/1935961187/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357482144&sr=8-1&keywords=let+the+dogs+speak


Lassie and Rin-Tin-Tin gave this book "Two Paws Up".


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Chilaquiles Veronica ~ 7.1; Fresh, homemade corn tortillas ~ 7.7 (Sure, these may only be "just corn tortillas", but they are very good, fresh, homemade "just corn tortillas")


1. Stupid, useless cunning linguist/pseudo-agriculturalistic pointer of the day, number one (parts A and B):

For some reason, this grain is know as "corn" only in English-speaking 'merica; in many other areas of the World it is called "maize" or a variation thereof.

The word "corn" comes from Middle English and Old English as a cognate with Dutch "koren", Old Norse "korn", German "Korn", and Gothic "kaúrn"; akin to Latin "grānum" (grain).

"Maize" derives from the Spanish "maíz", which is a form of the Taíno word for "plant" ~ "maiz".

Albanian ~ "misër"
Danish/Swedish ~ "majs"
Dutch/French ~ "maïs"
Esperanto ~ "maizo"
Estonian/Filipino/Italian/Norwegian ~ "mais"
Finnish ~ "maissi"
German ~ "Mais"
Haitian Creole ~ "mayi"
Turkish ~ "misir"

2. Stupid, useless cunning linguist/pseudo-culinaristic pointer del día, número dos:

"Chorizo" is a Spanish spiced pork sausage, the word is of uncertain origin. Mexican chorizo is very similar to Spanish chorizo, but a little bit spicier.


No comments:

Post a Comment