Saturday, January 5, 2013

Pat’s Cafe




http://patscafesf.com/




For my first breakfastary visit in 2013, I wanted to try someplace new (well, new to me) so I went to Pat's Cafe, which is located somewhere in the North Beach, Fisherman's Wharf, Russian Hill triangle; they are on Taylor Street, just off of Columbus Avenue and up one block from the Cable Car turnaround. Pat's Cafe is a fun-looking, friendly neighborhoody spot with lots of seating, plus two sidewalk tables with two seats each. I am surprised I had never been there yet. And in keeping with my New Year's Resolution (which I am sure I will break before the end of the month) to only eat at places that open before 10:00am, I am happy to state that they open up at 7:30am every day.

Pat's Cafe standard breakfast menu offers a nice line of omelettes, crêpes, pancakes, and other standards; and their weekend "Brunch" menu has several Eggs Benedict dishes from which to choose. I ordered Pecan (not a nut) Pumpkin (a real berry) Spice Pancakes and a side of homefries (which they have as two words, but I let it slide). They serve Mr. Espresso®, but I didn't really feel like a cuppa coffee this morning and am enjoying a cuppa Bettys Tearoom Blend tea instead while typing this out; this was a new Christmas gift and I am just trying it out now (Thanks, Cindy!)

http://www.bettys.co.uk/product/Bettys-Tea-Room-Blend-Tea-Bags,19201,27.aspx






There was no pumpkin in the pancakes, just pumpkin pie spices (probably cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, etc.); but there were plenty of pecans. These were two very good, medium-sized pancakes and the homefries were very good, too. I think that I probably would have liked these even more if they had actually included pumpkin in the pancake batter somehow.

Pat's Cafe has for condimentary supplementation both Tabasco® B
rand Pepper (a real berry) Sauce (the standard red) and Tapatío® . I had come with some of my own hot sauces and used some of my new Spicymonkey Raspberry (not a real berry) Chipotle (a real berry) Ketchup (Thanks again, Cindy!) on three quarters of the potatoes and a little Big Papi En Fuego Hot Sauce Off The Wall Triple Hot (Thanks, Kerry!) on the rest of the potatoes. I just used some of the provided (probably maple) syrup on the pancakes.

I thought this was very interesting. As the couple at the next table was leaving, the server asked if they'd like a "refill of coffee to go". Now that gets extra points in my (wee li'l) book.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Pecan Pumpkin Spice Pancakes ~ 6.5

2 comments:

  1. Brian, I feel hurt, my name not mention once on the gift giving side of things. I'm often the one that said "Brian would like that". But no, it's all Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Blame your wife, not me. Whenever I would say "Thanks, Cindy and Greg!", she would correct me and say "she" was the one that bought the stuff.

    In the future, I will try to make sure to thank the both of you.

    (Now if that doesn't cause a little familial strife...)

    ReplyDelete