Sunday, January 26, 2014

Eats


"A crust eaten in peace is better than a banquet partaken in anxiety." ~ Aesop




(No official web-site.)


Place: Eats
Location: 50 Clement Street (on the corner of 2nd Avenue); phonicular contact: (415) 751-8000
Hours: open Monday-Sunday at 8am (closed all other days of the week)
Meal: Spicy Tomato Skillet ~ (v) kale, onions, potatoes, bell peppers, sunny up eggs, Parmesan, grilled bread; and (from the Fresh Juice Bar section of the menu) a large Power "C" ~ grapefruit, orange, pineapple




(Wait… let me get this straight… Lola is a dude?!

But the Champagne still tasted like Coca-Cola®, right?)


In concluding the pre-Spring Training work-out of my Breakfastary Rotation, I finished up at Eats (see last 'blog-entry from September 2nd, 2013). I arrived there just as they were opening. For some reason, the menu calls the early morning meal both Breakfast and "Brunch"; I suppose during the week it is Breakfast and on the weekends it is "Brunch"

I have had just about all of the meals on their menu so far that have the "(v)" designation; I can't be sure, but I think that it stands for "verdantly tasty". However, there are still a few other breakfastary dishes that I have to ponder: Spinach Tomato Feta Scramble (v) (they don't list the ingredients in this one, though); Spinach Portabella Feta Benedict (v) (again, you will have to use your imagination as to what this includes); Vegetarian Egg Sandwich (v) (arugula, Cheddar, tomatoes, spicy aioli, over easy egg, avocado, cornmeal ciabatta[1], potatoes or salad); or Hummus and Egg (v) (roasted red bell peppers hummus, tomatoes, hardboiled egg, cucumber salad, parsley, olives, served with rye toast. Humma-licious!). The latter two meals were ordered by the couple at the table next to me and both looked very good; I have not had either of these dishes and will need to make myself a mental note to try one or the other on my next visit. I know that if I were to order the hummus platter, I would need to order a side of their Excellent! Roasted Home Potatoes as it didn't look like quite enough for me; plus, their Excellent! Roasted Home Potatoes are truly Excellent!, after all.




My meal was served in a small, personal, cast iron skillet. It really had an abundance of kale in it; and, as such, I have re-named this (from a prior visit): Spicy Kale (with some tomatoes and other junk in it) Skillet. I recently saw a chart that listed kale as the second highest in iron content of the green vegetables after spinach (unfortunately, "the vile weed" comes in at number three, but we really needn't speak of that here). The grilled bread came in very handy to sop up (and scoop up) the rest of the tasty, spicy sauce.

The Power "C" really hit the spot this morning as I felt a bit of a mid-winter's cold coming on this weekend and it never hurts to stockpile on the Vitamin C, Ms. Fitzpatrick. That it actually tastes great is an extra added benefit, too.

For condimentary supplements, Eats offers the San Francisco Triumvirate of Hot Sauces: Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (the standard red), Tapatío®, and Cholula® Hot SauceI used a little of my own El Yucateco® XXXtra Hot Sauce Salsa Kutbil-ik® de Chile Habanero (Thanks, Brian!) and Born to Hula presents Devon Alman's Chipotle Blues (Thanks, Kerry!) on different areas of the skillet. The spicy kale (tomato) stew/broth actually had a nice piquantness to it already (hence the moniker), but it never hurts to add a bit more flavour and spice if you ask me (even if you mind your own damned business and don't ask me). My hot sauces also came to good use as the lady at the next table tried both of them on her sandwich and seemed to like them a lot, too. She was another hot sauce fan and thought it was funny (but still a bit impressive) that I bring my own hot sauces with me to restaurants.

Girls may be boys, and boys may be girls, in this mixed-up, muddled-up, shook-up world, but "Brunch" before 10:00am is still breakfast… except to Lola.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Spicy Kale (with some tomatoes and other junk in it) Skillet ~ 7.0; Power "C" ~ 6.8


1. Once again, the Spell-check Brown-shirts at Microsoft do not seem to recognize this easily recognizable baked-goods product. What gives with these people?! I am sure these Schweinehunde bastages have no problems whatsoever with words like "Pumpernickel" or "Vollkornbrot". 

No comments:

Post a Comment