Saturday, August 29, 2015

SOMA Restaurant & Bar


"If you shut yer mouth and keep quiet, you may get what you want." ~ a bit of Zen insight from Sir George Ivan



(No official web-site; however, they have listed a 
web-site of www.somarestaurant.com on their business cards, but it does not actually work.)


Place: SOMA Restaurant & Bar 
Location: 85 Fifth Street (on the corner of Mission Street); phonicular contact: (415) 778-8500
Hours: open at 6:30am daily
Meal: Mediterranean Omelet ~ with spinach, red onion, zucchini, tomato, Kalamata olives, Feta cheese, & house potatoes, served with toast and jelly; and a cuppa (with one refilla) America's Best (this is just their lofty claim; I have had this brand many times before, and I would call it more like "America's Sufficiently Okay") Coffee Roasting Company 





(Monday happens to be the 70th birthday of one Sir George Ivan Morrison, OBE. So, I am sticking with his music for this weekend. 

"Sir"? Yes, sir!

I am pretty sure I have linked both of these songs many times here already in the past, and possibly these exact same videos. If you don't like it, start yer own damn 'blog-thing.)


I went to SOMA Restaurant & Bar for breakfast this morning. This normally wouldn't have been on my radar as a place to check out for breakfast, but I am running out of new places and figured I'd give them a try. I do like that they are open very early every day, and for an early morning meal that they don't call "Brunch". As best as I can figure, they are the house restaurant for the Pickwick Hotel. It's not really that large of a place; there are just six tables for two, seven tables for four, and one large table for six to eight people.

They don't offer that many items (only about a dozen or so) from which to choose on their breakfast menu, but I saw a couple of other good ideas if I ever get back there. Those would be: Good Morning Omelet (with mushrooms, spinach, tomato, & house potatoes); Italian Frittata (Italian mild sausage, mushrooms, Mozzarella cheese, & house potatoes; without the sausage for me, of course); Blueberry Pancakes; or Huevos Rancheros (eggs with tortillas, black beans, tomato, Mozzarella cheese, & house potatoes).




There was nothing really special about this one. This was just a basic, good omelette really. I did like the fact that it had lots of sliced Kalamata olives in it (and a good amount of Feta, too; as I always state: "Everything's betta with Feta!"). The leaves of spinach were incorporated into the egg mixture, not sautéed and added as an ingredient inside. They made decent enough homefries, too.

When I had finished eating all the food on my plate, I decided to eat the orange slice-garnish that was there. I then added the rinds to the last of my Coffee ~ à la Caffè Borgia.

http://www.food.com/recipe/cafe-borgia-320970

I have no idea what SOMA Restaurant & Bar had in the way of condimentary supplementation; none were offered and I really didn't bother asking for none, neither. I also skipped schlepping any of my own hot sauces with me this morning, as I just started reading a new book and it more than took up space and added weight in my backpack. I figured I could eat one breakfast without any hot sauce for a change.

the Author-Guy Strange Interlude

On Monday night, I went to a book-signing/book-launching (well, it ended up being more of a joke-telling) event for one of my current favourite living authors. This was the second-in-a-row of his book-launchings that I have been to in as many years. If you have never read any of Christopher Moore's books, I suggest starting with Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ’s Childhood Pal

http://www.chrismoore.com/


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Mediterranean Omelet ~ 6.5; Secondhand Souls ~ 7.5

No comments:

Post a Comment