Sunday, June 16, 2019

Breadbelly




https://breadbellysf.com/

(I find it funny that their web-site needed to add an 
"sf" in it to distinguish it from any other possible "Breadbelly" businesses that might be out there.)


Place: Breadbelly

Location: 1408 Clement Street
(near the corner of 15th Avenue)

Hours: open at 8:00am Wednesday to Monday 
(so, basically, they are closed on Tuesdays)

Meal: (the simply-enough named) Breakfast Sandwich ~ fried egg, ham (where they were nice enough to substitute some sliced avocado in its place for st*pid vegetarian-types), braised kale, Gruyère (they have this printed in the minuscule et sans l'accent grave, but I just felt like majusculing it and correctly accenting it here), fermented chili (for a change, I did not bother to ask them what it was exactly, but I think it was of the Korean Gochujang-ilk); a Raspberry Brioche Bun; and, to drink, a cuppa Matcha Cappuccino (I made sure to thank them for not St*rbucks-upping the name of the drink into something nocuous and noxious like "Matchaccino")


I specifically waited until Sunday to go back to Breadbelly (see last 'blog-entry from Saturday, June 8th, 2019) so as to not incur any undue criticism from one of my brothers (who shall remain named "Sean") for frequenting a place twice in the same week...

I plan on going back again soon (maybe just not next week, Sean, but in the near future still) and will probably order either: 

Smashed Cucumber & Avocado ~ (a salad) dressed with naam prik nuum (Thai chili-lime vinaigrette), basils[ sics ] (one of the counter-server guys told me last week that this dressing is made with fish-sauce in it, but they could make it with a different vinaigrette; and if they could add a poached egg on top of it, that would make it a bit more breakfastarily sound even);

or

Mushroom Barley Broth ~ Maitake & English peas, roasted barley tea, Chinese cabbages.

To drink, I want to try either the Sesame Horchata or (most likely) that "Brass Monkey"-thing that I saw on the menu on my initial visit two weeks ago now.





(Ooops! It looks as though someone completely forgot to take a photo of the Breakfast Sandwich to start. Hopefully you get the idea from the already 3/4-eaten remainder.)


I had asked last week what the Matcha Cappuccino was and was informed then that it is basically a chrysanthemum-based tea drink with matcha powder and frothed into a Cappuccino-style drink. I also felt proud of myself for not having to ask any additional st*pid bothering queries to the counter-server guys today.

The sweet bun-thing was a bit denser than I was expecting from a "Brioche"-described pastry. It was all still very good, but probably would have paired much better with a Coffee drink and not a matcha tea one. 
I ended up eating half of it before the main meal (well, if a "sandwich" can be considered a "main" meal ~ outside of Kennebunkport or Crabapple Cove) came and the last half as a breakfast-ending dessert.

As for the Breakfast Sandwich, there was not really much to it (as can almost be seen in the above photo), but it was still way better'n anything the demented clown at Mickey D's could ever conjure up. Their fermented chili sauce had a nice "sweet heat" thing going to it. And the only time that Mickey D's would ever have "kale" printed anywhere on their menu is if there were a major typo when they meant to have "imitation pork-fat-stuff" instead. I also like that they did not fancify-up (It's a real phrase, look it up!)[1] the name of this meal into something like "Brekkie Sandwich" or "Breakfast Sando", or the even worse "Brekkie Sando". (Hmmm?! Egga-McBrekkie Sando®, does kinda have a nice twang to it... )

Once again, I did not bother to ask (or bother the counter-server guys by asking) what they might have to offer in the way of any condimentary supplements. I had even come well-equipped with two of my own hot sauces, but none were needed or used this morning.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Egga-McBrekkie Sando® ~ 6.4;
Raspberry Brioche Bun ~ 6.7;
Matcha Cappuccino ~ 6.5

___________________

1. Actually, I was joking there when I first typed that phrase. However, I done looked 'er up my d*mnself, and "fancify" really is a verb. Hoo noo?!

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fancify

(This is the case where even Joseph Francis Tribbiani, Jr. may know something that Miss Chanandler Bong did not. Well, supposably.

"Even a blind pig can find a blind squirrel every once in a while... with or without the assistance of Ray Charles 
or Stevie Wonder.")

No comments:

Post a Comment