Saturday, August 16, 2014

Judy’s Cafe

"If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." ~ Anatole France

(And if fifty million people own "smart phones", it doesn't necessarily mean that they really are "smart".)



(No official web-site)


Place: Judy's CAFE
Location: 2268 Chestnut Street (between Avila and Scott Streets); phonicular contact: (415) 922-4588
Hours: open for breakfast at 7:30am every day of the week
Meal: Veggie Etc. (Omelette) ~ choice of 3 veggies (my choices: spinach, Bermuda onions, and a blend of Jack and Cheddar cheeses) and a choice of homemade pumpkin (mini-)loaf, blueberry muffin, English muffin, or 9-grain wheat toast; a side of homefried potatoes; and a large glass of fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice





(Neither of today's EweToobular songs have anything to do with "Judy"; I just like the music, and I really did not feel like using a Judy Collins or Judy Garland juxtaselection.

Who knew that Bobby Flay could sing and play the guitar?)


After a very long hiatus, I decided to go back to Judy's CAFE (see previous 'blog-entry from August 7th, 2010). I do not know why it had taken me this long to get back there again; at one time, I probably went there several times a year. It is a very popular Marina breakfastary destination, and one of the few remaining spots on Chestnut Street for an early morning meal.

The walls are adorned with autographed photos of Hollywoodland folk and Sports stars. And it was à propos that I sat right underneath a promo-photo of Robin Williams from "Mrs. Doubtfire" (it was not autographed, though). Just to be safe, I double-checked around to make sure there were not any photos of Betty Joan Perske; that would have been a bit too creepy for my liking.

While it was not overly crowded there today, it can get full pretty quickly as their seating area is rather smaller: (downstairs/main restaurant) seven tables for two and one table for four; (upstairs/balconial area) seating for maybe twenty-four or so; and (weather permitting/sidewalk area) five tables for four and one table for two. Most of the sidewalk tables were filled-up by the time I had finished breakfast, but it was still pretty open inside (downstairs and upstairs).

File under: "Pay Attention, Stupid!"

One of the customers asked for his son's baby stroller[1] that he had given to the wait-staff earlier (the place really is that small) to hold until they were done. Well, the guy was completely preoccupied (and pretty obnoxiously rude, if you ask me) checking his mobular device when he asked for the "stroller" and one of the Mexican busboys misheard him and handed him a "straw". Hahaha! The idiot accepted the straw and then it took him a few seconds to figure out something was wrong. Next time, daddy-o, your all-important Twittering can wait until you are outside and squared away. Jerk!

Judy's CAFE has a pretty decent selection of omelettes and they also have Sweet Inspiration and Egg Breakfasts sections on their menu. A few other meals that looked good to me were: Garlic (Omelette ~ homemade salsa, avocado, garlic, Jack and Cheddar cheeses); Cream Cheese French Toast (farm style egg bread stuffed with cream cheese, sprinkled with powdered sugar, covered with bananas); Potatoes Etc. (homefried potatoes, mushroom, onion, topped with melted Jack and Cheddar cheeses, with Italian or chicken apple sausage, ham or ground sirloin ~ which I would have ordered without the dead, decaying animal flesh, of course); etc.




They have a very strange way of making their omelettes. The omelettes are made kind of deconstructed, with the scrambled eggs/omelette part placed on top of the mess of ingredients (i.e. not really a "folded omelette", more like an "upside-down open-faced omelette"). They are all still very fluffy, though. One other thing that I did notice was that there were actually red onions in the mess, not Bermuda onions (which are usually white or yellow, and wearing those funny short trousers); not as if I could really tell by taste, though.

I went with the homemade pumpkin (mini-)loaf for my bread side, and it was very good. Who would choose plain ol' English muffins or toast when given the choice of two other fresh-baked goods? (Probably the same kind of idiot that is too busy playing on defacedbook when he is supposed to be retrieving his kid's stroller.) The (mini-)loaf was still warm and a good receptacle on which some butter to melt.

The side of homefried potatoes was a HUGE plate/pile; they were very nicely herbed, too. It was an awful lot of food to finish with the omelette and 
(mini-)loaf, and I really did not quite finish it all.

There was lots of pulp in the grapefruit juice, too, just the way I like it.

Judy's CAFE offers for condimentary supplementation both Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (the standard red) and Tapatío®. I went with some of my own Dave's Gourmet® Ginger Peach Hot Sauce (Thanks, Jim!) on half of the potatoes and some Fat Cat® Strawberry Serrano Hot Sauce (Thanks, Cindy & Greg!) on the other half of the potatoes; I also went with some Born to Hula presents Devon Allman's All Natural Hot Sauce Chipotle Blues (Thanks, Kerry!) on top of the omelette.

the Wild Parrots of San Francisco Interlude

After breakfast (in an attempt to walk off at least a bit of the carbo-overload), I went for a little stroll over to the Presidio. (I had parked over by the Lyon Street/Chestnut Street gate anyway.) I walked around the little park with the duck pond in it (in the Letterman Digital Arts Center). I only saw two to three of the Wild Parrots flying overhead, but I did stumble upon a murderous-looking group of 20-30 Ravens/Crows hanging out in a couple of the trees. I attempted my newest (and probably annoying to most Ravens/Crows) Raven/Crow call that I think sounds a bit like a drowning Turkey. A few weeks back, I heard one Raven/Crow making the sound in a tree over at Raccoon Island and I was told by some people that it is a pretty standard vocalization of theirs.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Veggie Etc. ~ 6.6; Homemade Pumpkin (Mini-)Loaf ~ 6.9; the Wild Parrots of San Francisco ~ 8.2


1.  Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day:

Just because I had to know, I asked one of the Mexican wait-staff how to say "baby stroller" en español, he told me it is "cariola" (well, in Mexican Spanish, at least).

I did not bother to ask them how to say "straw" in Spanish, though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment