Sunday, January 17, 2016

Cafe Golo ~ Boutique Cafe




http://cafegolo.com/

(Well, that should be their official web-site thing, but it does not appear to be working right now.)


Place: Cafe Golo ~ Boutique Cafe
Location: 1602 Lombard Street (at Gough Street); phonicular contact: (415) 673-4656
Hours: open daily at 8:00am
MealGolo Ranchero ~ corn tortillas topped with eggs, (black) beans, cheese, spicy salsa verde, served with sour cream and avocado (and some of their tasty tomato-corn salsa/relish thing); a side of Country Potatoes; and a cuppa (and two refillas) the house (restaurant-bakery, whatever) Coffee


Concluding the 2016 pre-Spring Training workout of my Breakfastary Starting Rotation, I finished up at 
Cafe Golo ~ Boutique Cafe (see previous 'blog-entry from September 20th, 2015) for breakfast.

There are still a few other ideas that I have yet to try for breakfast: Breakfast Tacos (3) (corn tortillas filled with egg, tomatoes, onions, peppers, and cheese; chicken, bacon, sausage, or ham can be added to this to ruin it; I may have to check this one out next visit... especially if they will allow me to have some of their extra-tasty salsa verde added to the tacos) or Grilled Seasonal Veggies Omelet (or Scramble) (I forgot to copy down what the specific ingredients in this one might be). Additionally, there is always Veggie Taters Scramble (Country Potatoes topped with sautéed onions, peppers, the vile weed [which I would have 86-ed, of course], artichokes, mushrooms, zucchini, and cheese) again; this was one of the first dishes that I had tried there and with which I was very impressed.




I went with my eggs "over medium" again this morning. I like that they have black beans in place of frijoles refritos típicos (don't get me wrong, I love pinto beans and frijoles refritos, I just like this black bean option even better). I wonder how this dish might taste with black-eyed peas, too. Their salsa verde is a real winner all on its ownsome. It isn't overly picante (well, I suppose it might be considered gringo-espicy), but it has mucho sabor.

There were no pastries/baked goods this morning due to some construction/updates to the bakery area. Jay stated that he wasn't sure that they would even be opening this morning; I was lucky that they did, as I had no back-up plan planned for this neighborhood. (Unfortunateley, I had it all planned in my mind's-eye ~ or eye's-mouth ~ to pick up a few pastries to enjoy later today while watching the NFL Playoffs. The Sweet Potato Tart is one of my favourites.) So I felt it necessary to get a side order of their excellent Country Potatoes. These are made with both standard (white/red/whatever) potatoes and sweet potatoes, which really makes all the difference. Even if they had any baked goods/pastries this morning, I may still have ordered a side dish of these. Of course, as it was, the main dish along with this side dish was quite an awful lot of food (but luckily not quite a lot of awful food), and I barely finished up all the potatoes. I did have to leave the last bite of Golo Ranchero untouched on my plate for the Food Gods. (You're welcome, Rachel and Emeril!)

I didn't bother checking out what they might have today for condimentary supplements. I wouldn't have wanted to mess with the flavour of the salsa verde, anyway. I did use a good amount of my own Palo Alto Firefighters Pepper Sauce (Thanks agains, Amys and Brian!) on the Country Potatoes. I wish that this local hot sauce was offered ubiquitously at more local restaurants. It is just that good, and it pairs well with most every potato dish. (Okay, I have been known to use it on some dessert dishes, too. Hey! Don't knock it until you have tried it on top of some dulche de leche or ginger Ice Cream.)



http://paloaltofirefighters.com/


(Yet still another) Grits update: I spoke with Jay just before leaving and he stated that they should still be on schedule to open this year (finally) in late March or early April.

the Wild Parrots of San Francisco Interlude

While driving home after breakfast south along Gough Street, I happened to hear (even over my car stereo blaring, the caterwauling of these noisy little birds can be heard) a small pandemonium of the Wild Parrots. This was right at Lafeyette Park[1]. I can only assume that they now have an established roost in the treetops of this city park, too.


Glen Bacon Scale RatingGolo Ranchero ~ 7.2; Salsa Verde ~ 7.4; Palo Alto Firefighters Pepper Sauce ~ 7.5; the Wild Parrots of San Francisco ~ 8.5

___________________

1. http://sfrecpark.org/destination/lafayette-park/

No comments:

Post a Comment