Sunday, February 21, 2016

Home Plate


I love Baseball ۝, Mr. Nacherly!



(No official web-site [any longer].)


Place: Home Plate
Location: 2274 Lombard Street (between Pierce and Steiner Streets)
Hours: open everyday [ sic ][1] at 7:00am
Meal: Greek Frittata (three-egg pancake-style omelettes [this is the actual description off their menu]) ~ spinach, tomatoes, Calamata [ sic ] olives, Feta cheese, served with 2 potato-carrot pancakes, or hash browns, and toast; a medium glassa fresh (squeezed?) cantaloupe juice; and after breakfast a small cuppa Peet's Coffee & Tea® Ethiopian Fancy

http://www.peets.com/coffee/by-region/coffee-shop-by-category-africa-arabia/ethiopian-fancy.html






Continuing with the whole Spring Training-theme, I headed back to Home Plate (see last 'blog-entry from February 21st, 2015) for breakfast this morning.

This has always been a great little (family-owned/run) place and I've probably been going here now for at least fifteen to twenty years. If ever needed, it could easily slide right into my Breakfastary Starting Rotation
1) they open very early (just try finding any other good joint along Lombard Street ~ or in the Marina/Cow Hollow area ~ that opens at 7:00am), and 
2) they offer a great selection (both in quantity and quality) of items from which to choose (for stupid vegetarian-types and those that partake of the dead, decaying animal flesh alike).




Not that there was really much that I could get off their Specials board this weekend, but I am sure there are several of you out there that like "shrimps", so the Angry Benedict might just be up your dead, decaying aquatic insect-eating alley. There was also a separate printed Specials insert with the menu which offered several other items. I was eyeing the Dulce de Leche Pancakes ~ 2 pancakes filled with Dulce de Leche and topped with caramel, sliced almond (now why they have "almonds" in the singular and "shrimp" in the plural, I don't know... Third Base!) and whipped cream. If I had been in a "sweet" mood, this would have been my choice today (with a side order of hashbrowns, probably).




I have had this frittata several times before here, and other than the mispelink of "Kalamata olives", I am always happy to see that this is packed with lots of Kalamata (or Calamata) olives and Feta cheese. I went with rye bread for my toasty choice. I would normally get their potato-carrot pancakes (which are truly exemplary) as my breakfastary side dish choice, but I felt like trying their hashbrowns (which they have as two words, but I prefer it as oneword... "You say 'everyday'... I say 'potahto'...") for a change.

Another nice little touch is that all breakfast meals start off with a small, fresh-baked scone with two tasty homemade (well, Home Plate-made) jams. Today's jams were strawberry and mango.

For condimentary supplements, Home Plate has the Standard San Francisco Triumvirate of Hot Sauces: Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (with both Original Red Sauce and Green Jalapeño Pepper Sauce), Cholula® Hot Sauce Original, and Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce; plus, they also have squeeze-bottles of Huy Fong Foods, Inc. Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce. I used some of my own Old St. Augustine Snake Bite Datil Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Greg & Cindy!) on the hashbrowns and (just a bit of) Dragon's Lair Extra Hot Cayenne & Habanero Hot Sauce (Thanks, Mom!) on top of the frittata.

Afterward, I walked a few blocks over to Chestnut Street to get myself a nice after-breakfast Coffee (I purposely forewent getting any Coffee with my meal as I figured I might do this) at Peet's Coffee & Tea®'s flagship store located there. I like how they now offer any blend/roast that is currently available (and this goes for any seasonal/one-time-only blends/roasts, too) as a single "press-pot" (which is just 'merican-speak for "presse française"). I chose the Ethiopian Fancy because it is almost never offered as their everyday (and here this is kerektly speld as the oneword adjective) Coffee. It costs a little more when they make it this way (a single cuppa can be either $3.05 [for standard blends/roasts] or $4.05 [for the fancier blends/roasts ~ such as Ethiopian Fancy, etc.]), but it is worth it once in a while; especially if you want to test-taste a new blend/roast before buying an entire bag of the junk. And the extra-added bonus of doing this today was that I paid for a small/single cuppa (12 oz), but was actually given a large cuppa (16 oz ~ which can be $4.35 or $5.35, depending on the blend/roast; I have found that they will usually make an overage of Coffee when they make it via "press-pot", anyway).


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Greek Frittata ~ 7.4; Cantaloupe Juice ~ 7.5; Scone and Jams ~ 7.3; 
Peet's Coffee & Tea® Ethiopian Fancy ~ 7.6

___________________

1. Much like yesterday's adjectival error, I am sure they also mean: "every day".

No comments:

Post a Comment