Thursday, April 21, 2016

Lands End Lookout Café


Richmond (District) Coffeehouses ~ Part 26




http://www.cliffhouse.com/home/Cafe.html


Place: Lands End Lookout Café
Location: 680 Point Lobos Avenue (which would be on your Merrie Way [this is actually the name of the sidewalk trail along the western end of the Lands End parking lot])
Hours: open daily from 9:00am
Meal: Hummus & Pita Chips and an Almond-Craisin Scone; and a cuppa Peerless Coffee & Tea® Fair Trade Organic French Roast

http://www.peerlesscoffee.com/product/all-coffee/fair-trade-french-organic/




(There is really no reason for today's EweToobular juxtaselection. I just had heard that Prince Rogers Nelson was a huge fan of National Parks.[1])


I have the next couple of days off from work (due to the fact that we are moving our offices about four blocks away), so I figured I could squeeze in a few additional 'blog-entries before the end of the month. Today I continued with my Richmond (District) Coffeehouses series and went to Lands End Lookout Café for a quick and simple breakfast. I had completely forgotten that they were so close by and figured I could check them out this morning and then do a little hiking around Lands End and the old Sutro Bath ruins (wayyyy down, then wayyyy up).




(I am glad that they have it marked, because I was not quite sure where "here" was.)

http://www.parksconservancy.org/visit/park-sites/lands-end.html


The Lookout Café is run by the same people that run Cliff House. However, there really isn't an awful lot of choices on their menu for breakfast. I found out that they don't even have any sandwiches or real food available until after 10:00am. There is no real seating inside (well, there is one bench that might seat three to four people that faces outside overlooking Seal Rocks); so I decided to sit outside and enjoy my breakfast with a friend.




This was good enough hummus, but nothing really special (well, it's better than anything I can make; that is, if I ever tried to make my own hummus, of course). There were enough pita chips left over that I ended up sharing them with some of the local little birds (little black and brown ones that I just figure are Sparrows or such; I suppose you can say that I was "host" to the Sparrows for breakfast) that stopped by.

The scone was very good and fresh-baked. The birds also seemed to really like the almond slivers that I shared with them, but only a couple of them tried the craisins that I also gave them.

I like that they offer free refillas all day long if you bring your original paper cup back with you. After breakfast I went for a short hike down to the Sutro Bath ruins  and some of the nearby trails and then stopped back at the Café for a half-refilla before heading home.



(Can this photo of Seal Rocks be captioned: "Heart of Stone"?)


I didn't really notice or look for any kind of condimentary supplementation and I didn't bother bringing any of my own with me as I figured (correctly, it turned out) that there would be no need for any at a small coffeehouse on National Park lands.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating
Hummus & Pita Chips ~ 6.0; 
Almond-Craisin Scone ~ 6.4

___________________

1. Trying to locate an original Prince song on EweToob is as hard as trying to locate any original Robert Zimmerman songs there, too.

On my way back home from Lands End, I had the car stereo tuned to a local Rock-and/or-Roll radio station (that would be KFOG for anyone really reading along this far). They had just played two Prince songs back-to-back ("Purple Rain" and "1999") and I jokingly thought to myself, "What, did Prince die or something?!" See, it was about 10:15am and they normally do a program every weekday called "10 at 10" where they play ten songs in a row at 10:00am from either a specific year or with a theme. I just figured the theme today was Prince songs. Of course, right after the second song the deejay came on and stated, "Prince. Dead at 57." 

Ooops! Okay, so I felt a little bad about my stupid joke after that.

R.I.P. Prince. Here's hoping you will be partying like it is always 1999.

(For what it is worth, I still have my original vinyl copy of "1999" from 1982.)

No comments:

Post a Comment