Sunday, October 30, 2016

L's Caffé(è)


Watson a gñämê?



http://lscaffe.com/


Place: L's Caffé(è)
Location: 2871 24th Street (between Bryant and Florida Streets)
Hours: open Monday - Friday 6:30am, Saturday - Sunday 8:00am
Meal: Molletes[1] ~ French baguette open face, spreaded [ sic ] with butter & refried beans topped with Swiss cheese, oven toasted, served with freshly made pico de gallo salsa; two over-medium eggs; a cuppa Mexican Café (or is that supposed to be "Cafè"?) Mocha (with whipped cream topping option, of course); and for a breakfastary dessert afterward at dynamo donut + coffee (or "coffeè"?) one Pumpkin Pie and one Molasses Guinness®

http://dynamodonut.com/




(I know that I have posted both of these songs [maybe just different versions/videos] previously in the past [because "previously in the future" makes no sense... even to Marty McFly], but I don't care. It's Sir George Ivan [and Candy Dulfer, man] and it's All-Hallows' Eve Eve.)


Even though they mispél (well, mîś-åçčèñt) their name[2], I like L's Caffé(è) (see previous 'blog-entry from Sunday, May 4th, 2014) and went back for a sécond visit. 

While they really don't have an awful lot of items from which to choose for breakfast (and this goes for both stupid vegetarians and those that partake of the dead, decaying animal flesh alike), this is another friendly little coffeehouse-joint that always deserves a return visit. As for some other breakfast idea there is always: Garden Benedicts (2 poach [ sic ] eggs, baby spinach, avocado & Canadian bacon layered over a toasted English muffin, topped with a citrusy Hollandaise sauce, served with red potatoes and fruit salad; substitute Canadian bacon for fresh lox); Belgian Waffle (7-inch round waffle topped with fresh bananas, apples, strawberries, and whipped cream); or an assortment of bagels (plain, everything, jalapeño, onion, whole wheat, Asiago cheese, poppy seed, sesame, garlic, potato-peppercorn, gourmet Pizza, gourmet pesto) that can be topped with everything from flavoured cream cheeses (sun-dried tomato, chipotle, or strawberry), hummus, lox, "veggies" (Spring mix, tomato, onion, sprouts, cucumbers, & black olives), and even a Vegan cream cheese (made from tofu).




I really had no idea (or point of comparison) what to expect from this dish. The molletes (pronounced: 
"mo-yets") were very simple, but simply very good. (Simplicity is not a bad thing when it is simply done well.) I suppose these can be described as la versión mexicana of bruschetta. Their homemade (coffehouse-made, whatever) pico de gallo was very good, too. Their choice of Swiss cheese seemed a bit incongruous to me; I would have thought that a good queso mexicano or Monterey Jack would have been a better/more authentic choice. These were a bit unwieldy at first and I ended up doing the p.o.s.h. Britishlander thing and eating them with a knife-and-fork initially. When there was less than half of the bread slices left, I did pick them up and eat them by hand like a typical 'merican heathen. I had also thought about sliding one each of the over-medium eggs on top of each half-slice of the baguette, but that might have been even messier, Captain Mark.

"What have we got going on here?!"

For condimentary supplements, L's Caffé(è) only had Cholula® Hot Sauce (Original) and Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce for use. I just used some of my own Florida Gold Premium Habanero Hot Sauce (Thanks, Kerry!) on top of one egg and some Dragon Breath Garlic Hot Sauce (Thanks, Mom!) on top of the other egg. When the counter lady/server-person lady brought out my food, she noticed that I had my own little supply of hot sauces lined up to use and exclaimed the above sub-titular statement. She noted that she was also a hot sauce-fan and tried a couple of mine. She also noticed the Palo Alto Firefighters Pepper Sauce pin on my backpack, and I especially made sure to extol the virtues of that great local hot sauce.




I liked both of my doughnuts, but probably should have only ordered just one. However, when I saw that they had a seasonal Pumpkin Pie choice and that the Molasses Guinness® doughnuts were available again this morning, I knew that I had to go with both. I can always skip lunch later in the day. The Molasses Guinness® doughnuts always seem to be "Sold-Out" if I get there too late in the morning (I am pretty sure that I have had them before, but only once or twice). I ate both of them outside in dynamo donut + coffee's backyard patio area because I could; of course, I was the only idiot to do so ~ you can't really see it from the above photo, but it was raining pretty hard this morning. I was sitting under one of the large umbrellas and the table and my seat had remained (relatively) dry (the other three seats at the table were pretty wet, though).

And, thankfully, once again, no stupid parklets were anywhere to be seen in this neighborhood...


Glen Bacon Scale Rating
Molletes ~ 6.3;
Mexican Café Mocha ~ 6.5;
assorted doughnuts ~ 7.0

___________________

1. ¿Qué?

http://www.food.com/recipe/molletes-mexicanos-330179

2. Stupid, useless cunning linguist (and a bit Nazi grammarian) pointer of the day:

I have stated this numerous times already. The Italiano word for both "Coffee" and "coffeehouse" is correctly spelled (accented) as "Caffè" (con l'accento grave). The Frenchy word for both "Coffee" and "coffeehouse" is correctly spelled (accented) as "Café" (avec l'accent aigu). For some reason, many 'merican restaurants mix-up the two accents.

Now, I am not putting 100% blame on L's Caffé(è) for the mispelink of their own name; they are a Mexican-owned restaurant. (I do not know if there is a corresponding acento grave en español; I do know they have el acento agudo.) I have seen many actual Italiano-owned places in the States that have also incorrectly used an "é" instead of an "è". Go figgér!

No comments:

Post a Comment