Saturday, March 27, 2010

Flower Market Cafe

No “Artificial Flowers” here, Bobby (and breakfast was authentic, too)



Bechelli’s Flower Market Cafe*, as its name states, is located right in the San Francisco Flower Mart (which is open to the public, but mainly services the wholesale industry). It is on the corner of Brannan and 6th Streets in the South of Market Area (SoMa for those trying to sound “hep”). The family that owns this restaurant also has another sister restaurant over on Chestnut Street in the Marina District.

http://www.flowermarketcafe.com/












This place has lots of seating in addition to an outdoor patio (with another 8 tables). Parking on the weekends seems to be easy enough with ample street parking in the area. They also have a nice looking bar in the restaurant; it was closed when I was there for breakfast, but I am sure it does a nice business during Summer nights as it is located just a few blocks away from AT&T Park, home of the San Francisco Giants. Each table and the counter had fresh flowers on them ~ I’m thinking that these were probably bought at a nearby Safeway®












I had the Spinach, Mushroom, Caramelized Onion, & Goat Cheese Omelette. This was a three-egg behemoth chock full o’ fresh spinach (enough to impress even Popeye), with shiitake (which they had misspelled on the menu as “shitake”), goat cheese ~ lots and very good, and onions ~ which seemed more like grilled than caramelized to me. All in all, the entire combination was very good. The large side of home fries was okay, but seemed to be lacking some basic flavour, as they only had Tabasco® on the tables/counter (I didn’t bring my usual stash of hot sauces with me), I had to make due with what there was. The coffee was nothing special, typical restaurant-style coffee.


Domani, Seconda Parte ~ Bechelli’s in the Marina District...

Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Omelette ~ 6.5; Potatoes ~ 6.0; Coffee ~ 5.0; Flowers ~ 6.5 (like I really would know)


*(Today's entry was at the suggestion of a fellow 'blogger and old Air Force buddy ~ Hi, Jim! I had not eaten here in over 15 years; I used to work just two blocks away in the early 90's. But don't think I am gonna start taking requests, I can only eat so many breakfasts every weekend.)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! Do they still use the IR handhelds to take orders? That was one of the things that really impressed me there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sat at the counter, so it would not have been necessary. I didn't notice if they did for other customers at "real" tables.

    ReplyDelete