Sunday, March 21, 2010

Secret Breakfast

Ice cream: It’s not just for dessert any more…


Who says you can’t have ice cream for breakfast? It has milk, eggs, and sugar in it ~ sounds like breakfast to me, Bill Cosby.

 















 








There is a great ice cream parlour over in the Mission (on Harrison and 24th) simply called Humphry Slocombe ~ an “only in San Francisco“ kinda place. It is named after the owner/chef that has come up with some pretty interesting flavours from which to choose. This place is pretty tiny and they only offer 10-12 different flavours at a time, but they are all usually pretty interesting and always fresh. If you didn’t know it were there (aside from the usual line out the door), you would miss it entirely.

http://www.humphryslocombe.com/|_Flavors_|.html

Believe me, this ain’t your mother’s Baskin-Robins® ice cream joint. One of my favourite flavours of theirs is called “Secret Breakfast”. It is made with real Bourbon and corn flakes; hard to explain, but it actually works (I think Guinness® and Cocoa Puffs® might be pushing it though). I paired it with a scoop of “Racer 5 IPA” (made with real beer from the Bear Republic Brewery). In addition to the two flavours I had today, there were “Jesus Juice Sorbet” (made with red wine and Coke® Classic) and one called “Boccalone Prosciutto” (and, yes, it is made with actual salted porky parts, Sean ~ I did not try a sample of this one, but I talked the complete stranger in line behind me into trying it and he said it really wasn’t that bad. I rewarded him for his bravery by buying both his and his girlfriend’s ice creams. He had the “Secret Breakfast” paired with another one that escapes me, and his girlfriend had “Balsamic Caramel” ~ a great choice, which I have tried before ~ with “Salted Chocolate”.)



This is one secret breakfast that you don’t have to hide in a paper bag to enjoy.



Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Secret Breakfast ~ 7.5; Racer 5 IPA ~ 6.0

4 comments:

  1. So what kind of hot sauce do you recommend as an ice cream accompaniment? (I say jokingly, but I'm sure you've had chili pepper flavored ice cream at some point too...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is not necessary. Did you not see their list of flavours? They already offer "Ancho Chocolate" and "Strawberry Candied Jalapeño" in ice cream and "Thai Chili Lime" in sorbet.

    Actually, I think the "Boccalone Prosciutto" is best paired with either the "Limoncello Italian Ice" (sorbet) or "Honey Dew" (sorbet) ~ melon & prosciutto are a common match for an appetizer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, the 'Peanut Butter Curry' is the standout tempting 'spicy' one to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I already had that flavour a couple of trips back.

    ReplyDelete