Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Bistro Restaurant @ Cliff House

Re-ducks and Popovers(!) ~ no re-chickens, tho'


I revisited The Bistro Restaurant* at the historic Cliff House this morning (see 'blog-date: Saturday, March 20, 2010). The food here is always good (and there is a spectacular view of the Pacific Ocean on clear, sunny days), but I can get good food lots of places (and I can simply look out my window for great views); however, as always, I came back for the Popovers(!).

http://www.cliffhouse.com/

Above my table along the wall there was a really nice collection of autographia of many Hollywoodlanders** (sampling from bottom to top):
Claude Rains*** (but I could actually see his picture, Mr. Wells****); Nicholas Cage; Shirley Temple; Tommy Smothers; Humphrey Bogart (and I found this pretty cool to be situated just above the Claude Rains photo, Mr. Blaine); Olivia de Havilland; Huey (
Кто вы называете хуй?) Lewis; and the entire cast of "Mad About You"; among several others.

Their best Wall of Fame would have to be this one, though (from bottom to top):
The Marx Brothers; Carole Lombard (right next to); Clark Gable; Jimmy Cagney; Barbara Stanwyck; Bette Davis; Charles Laughton; Spring Byington*****; and Joan Crawford (with her original eyebrows!).












I had the Sautéed Vegetable Scramble ~ Scrambled Eggs, Red Peppers, Tomatoes, Button Mushrooms, & Melted Goat Cheese; which comes with fresh fruit and some roasted red potato halves. This was loaded with lots of Goats cheese and a nice mixture of veggies and 'shrooms (for those of you that aren't anti-fungites). To enhance the flavour, I used some Sylvia's Restaurant® ~ Kickin' Hot - Hot Sauce (Thanks, Sean!) with the scramble; and with the potatoes: Trees Can't Dance ~ Belizean Habañero Sauce (Thanks again, Greg & Cindy! And, for the record, anyone that would like a shout out on my 'blog, I can easily be bribed with a good bottle o' hot stuff). I rounded off the breakfast with a "large" glass of orange juice (it was actually more like a "tall" glass) and a cuppa coffee.


Now, I am not complaining, as this was easily rectified, but… they actually forgot to bring out my Popovers(!) to start the meal off!!! That would be like going to Disneyland® and getting snubbed by the Mouse at the gates. The good news was that when they finally did bring me my Popovers(!), they brought me four Popovers(!) and not the standard-issue three Popovers(!). I can normally barely finish two Popovers(!), let alone three Popovers(!) with the rest of the food; however, I felt it my duty to polish off all four Popovers(!)… I left some of the fruit and scramble instead.

I am sure that I will be going back again later in the year.

Did I forget to mention the Popovers(!)?!




Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Sautéed Vegetable Scramble ~ 6.7; Popovers(!) ~ 8.2



*(They actually added the superfluous, inessential, gratuitous, excessive, and absolutely unnecessary "Restaurant"; by definition a "Bistro" is a restaurant already. So this is completely redundant ~ or saying the same thing, even ~ like "Sahara Desert" or "D*mn Y*nkees".)

 
**( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh23A2GptAQ )

 
***( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5MHNvOVl8Y )

 
****( http://instantrimshot.com/ )

 
*****(Spring Byington may be a less-know actress now-a-days, but she was very famous in her day and starred in many great movies: 

 
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001981/ )

2 comments:

  1. Mary makes a good Popover(!) for out-of-town guests. Also, isn't Cliff House part of GGNRA? Shouldn't that be one of the labels?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for pointing out a missing Label. I have corrected that now. I forgot it as I never really mentioned the GGNRA in the post. I probably should have just copied the Labels from the initial post.

    Hmmmm, Mary makes Popovers(!)? I'll be right over...

    ReplyDelete