Saturday, August 28, 2010

the little Chihuahua

y un poquito Sábado Negro




the little Chihuahua (and why not ¿el pequeño Chihuahua? or ¿el Chihuahuahito?) is located in the old spot where Miss Millie's* used to be over on 24th Street (between Castro and Church Streets) in Noe Valley. I actually drove over to that part of town planning on eating at Savor this morning, but happened to be passing a new (they have been at this location for only two months now) restaurant just as they were opening for the morning (¿Cómo se dice "serendipidity" en español?) and decided to stop in there instead. When I got there, they were playing vintage Black Sabbath (hence the maíz-y "Sábado Negro" subtitle above) ~ we are talkin' auténtico Ozzie Osbourne stuff here, circa early 1970's, which I was not expecting for either a Mexican place or at breakfast. I was told that for the first hour in the morning when they open they usually play Black Sabbath stuff. Very cool!

http://thelittlechihuahua.com/


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlW9s_QGyJc&feature=related

They have a "keeler" Salsa Fresca bar with 5 different choices (plus pickled jalapeños):


(from hottest to mildest; read right to left, Ishmaelito)


Habañero ~ very nice and fruity, and not nearly as hot as I had expected, there is a touch o' limes in it that tempers the heat some; Chipotle ~ with a nice smoky flavour and a good kick of fuego, this was my favourite of the three that I tried, con un sabor fabuloso; Roasted tomato ~ also very nice and smoky with the roasted tomatoes, but just gringo-spicy; Tomatillo; and a Pico de Gallo.





I had the huevos motuleños** ~ "Two eggs cooked over easy served on top of crispy corn tostadas, refried black beans, Royal Ham (I skipped this, el Rey), smothered with our fresh Ranchero sauce and Queso Fresco with a side of Mexican potatoes". The entire dish was very tasty and the home style red potatoes are made with grilled onions and roasted Poblano chiles*** (I had to ask as they could have been Anaheim chiles***), which was a nice touch, I thought. I also had a glass of jugo de naranja (which I think would have been much better if it were the fresh squeezed kind like you can get at most taquerías in the Mission, but that is just a minor quibble ~ un quibblito) and a cáfe mexicano (with two sugars and lots of cream).




They only have Tapatío® on the tables, but this was really no big deal**** as their homemade salsas are way better than any pre-packaged salsas ever could be (¿Cómo se dice "superfluous" en español?).

Their "Brunch" menu also offers Chilaquiles and a few other interesting items: "Mexican French Toast" (I am sure Maximilian Ferdinand would approve ~ or maybe this is the real Moctezuma's***** revenge), Huevos Rancheros, Breakfast Burrito, et cetera. The next time I will have to try their version of Chilaquiles or the et cetera.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Huevos Motuleños ~ 6.9; Papas Mexicano ~ 6.8; Salsas Frescas ~ 7.5


*(Miss Millie's used to be one of my favourite breakfast haunts for many years; unfortunately they closed back in 2005. It was located in what I was told used to be an old butcher's shop. They had a dish called "roasted root vegetables" which was really great and for which I would always go back there; it was made with potatoes ~ both the red and sweet varieties, rutabagas, turnips, some kinds of onions, garlic, and fennel root. ¡Muy sabroso!)


**(I asked one of the cooks what "motuleños" meant and he really couldn't explain it to me; I will just go with "tasty".)

***(Poblano chiles ~ Scoville Heat Units: 2,500-3,000; Anaheim chiles: 500-2,500 and up to 4,500-5,000 for some varieties)


****(Did you ever wonder what is the difference between "no big deal" and "Big Deal"? They both basically mean the same thing. When someone says "It's no big deal.", they are saying that it is of little importance; and when someone says "Big Deal!", they usually are being facetious and mean that it is of little or no importance, also. Now if someone could just tell me how "regardless" and "irregardless" mean the same thing.)


*****(And for any of you being quick to point out: "Hey, Brian, that's not how you spell 'Montezuma'?!", this is the preferred spelling. So, go sunk it!)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's quite the melange of foods and culture right there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. The Black Sabbath music really threw me and the entire cook staff were all Mexicans, there was just one single gringa that worked the cash register/took orders.

    ReplyDelete