Sunday, August 8, 2010

Chava’s

Chilaquiles ~ Mexican for "very tasty"





Located right in el Corazón de la Misión, Chava's Mexican Restaurant, since 1976 (¡Ese es el espíritu!) is a great place in which to get un desayuno Mexicano auténtico (at least to this gringo's tongue). All meals come with complimentary tortilla chips, salsa picante (a basic tomato-chili pepper one), guacamole, and a pico de gallo* salsa (made with lots of fresh cilantro; many people don't like too much cilantro, I love it). And I noticed another homemade salsa on another table, after I was almost done eating, which was hecho solamente** de chilis pequin, sin tomates (pequin chilis are often 7-8 times hotter than jalapeños on the Scoville scale, 30,000 to 60,000 units) ~ con un sabor muy fantástico, y mucho fuego.
As their homemade hot sauces supply more than enough flavour and heat, I felt it superfluous*** to bring any of my own bottles of hot sauces.

There are several nice Mexican-style folk art murals adorning their walls, which makes for a nice atmosphere while eating there.




















Chava's used to be located several blocks away from its current location. About 10-12 years ago now they had a fire at their original location on the corner of Capp and 18th Streets. Ironically, the old restaurant used to be a favourite hang-out for Firemen Trainees in San Francisco, as their training facility was only two blocks away. The old location is still boarded-up and not in use to this day.

I had the Chilaquiles: 2 scrambled eggs, onion, tomato, bell peppers, cheese and tortilla chips (which are sautéed in the pan first from fresh corn tortillas) ~ and had them add two serrano chilis that are available on the tables to eat raw or to add to your meal (serrano chilis are a bit hotter than jalapeños, too, with a Scoville rating of 10,000 to 25,000 units). This is one of the main reasons I have been going to Chava's for about twenty years now. Chava's may not be the "best" chilaquiles in town; however, I am not Mexican and didn't grow up with this dish so I really don't know; what I do know is that they are my favourite, as this was the first place where I had my first taste of chilaquiles. And like Tiramisù, they never seem to be made quite the same way in any two restaurants
.




I generally take my coffee "black, no sugar"; but whenever I eat breakfast at a Mexican restaurant I like to make it a Caffeè Mexicano ~ con mucho leche y azúcar ~ like the indigenous populace would. I figure, "when in Rome, do as the Greeks would"…

On the weekends, meals also come with homemade corn tortillas; prepared by una tortilladora excepcional ~ all she does is make tortillas all day long. This is another great excuse to go to Chava's for breakfast on the weekend.



Chava's used to be in my "Breakfast Rotation" for several years, but as I normally only go there for their excellent chilaquiles (they do have other good breakfasts for me from which to choose: Huevos Rancheros, Huevos a Mexicana, Huevos con Nopales, etc., all of which I have tried in the past; but I normally go back for the chilaquiles), this made for a boring trip 6-10 times a year. As it is, I still go 3-5 times a year. Chava's is a good place to keep in mind if any other of the "players on my roster" go on the DL (see fire story above). "¡Béisbol hablado aquí!"

"¡Y tu Chava's también!"


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Chilaquiles ~ 7.6; Salsas ~ 7.0; Tortillas ~ 7.5


*(Useless cunning linguist story #1:

 
Pico de gallo is Spanish for "rooster's beak". I have heard a few different etymologies for this name. One is that eating this with tortilla chips resembles how a rooster would peck his food; another is that the chilis used in a typical salsa look like a rooster's beak. I have no idea which is actually correct, I just know the salsa is tasty.

 
I hope you will enjoy esta pequeña cancíon while reading this 'blog, or just while eating some chips and salsa. "Gallo del Cielo" ("The Rooster from Heaven"):

 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMJkMA7EW9E


 It was written and performed by Tom Russell, originally from Los Ångeles, but best known as a Texas Country Music singer. I have seen him perform live a few times in the Bay Area and was introduced to his music by my friend Skip ~ "Howdy, Skip!". This is one of my favourite of his ballads.)
 
**(Useless cunning linguist story #2:

 
One of the first complete Spanish sentences I ever learned when I lived in Texas over 30 years ago was: "No me molestes. Solamente mirando." ~ thanks go to Doug Knapp/"Mongo", wherever you are ~ I really have no idea if I am spelling it correctly, though. It basically means: "Don't touch me. I am just looking." I asked him to teach it to me when we were making one of our trips to Ciudad Acuña ~ which is across the Rio from Del Rio, Texas, and one of the closest border towns to San Ångelo where we were living at the time. Most Mexican border towns are very popular with 'merican Military male types for their cheap booze and "Boys Towns". Sorry, but this ain't your Father Flanagan's kinda Boys Town, Bing. )

 
***("Superfluous" does not refer to any DC or Marvel funny book heroes, I looked it up; but it does seem to be more than a sufficient or required word. And what is up with "ubiquitous"? You hear it everywhere now-a-days!)

No comments:

Post a Comment