Sunday, October 16, 2011

Home Plate

"Slide into Home Plate for a home run meal!"[1]



http://www.homeplatesf.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DvK6VTG67U

 
(Just a little music[2] in honour of the MLB Post Season. Good luck to the Texas Rangers and Milwaukee Brewers or Saint Louis Cardinals!)


It's Postseason Baseball time again! Because of which, I decided to go back to Home Plate (see 'blog-entry from May 9th, 2010) in the Marina/Cow Hollow area. I really like this little place, and it is very popular with both locals and touristas (due to it's location on Lombard Street and closeness to many hotels/motels). I was happy to see that they have added to their walls of sports photos some brand new pictures of the 2010 (and reigning) World Series Champions, San Francisco Giants since my visit last year.

Home Plate has a pretty extensive daily menu and they also offer several nice weekend specials. This weekend they had a few that caught my eye: Garden Omelette ~ mushroom, tomatoes, onion, green onion, bell pepper, spinach, avocado, and Cheddar cheese; and "Almond French Toast" (they actually included the "quotations marks", Karl) ~ Topped with toasted Almond, cinnamon, powder (sic) sugar, & butter. The omelette special seemed a bit too green to me, Mr. Nader, and I really wasn't in the mood for French toast. So I had the Spinach Frittata ~ spinach, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese; served with
Home Plate made scone, (2) potato-carrot pancakes[3a], and home(plate)made roll or toast (talk about a load of carbohydrates). I also ordered a cuppa coffee and a medium (they actually offer three sizes, which is always nice) glass of fresh cantaloupe juice.




The mini-scone comes with two different types of their excellent home(plate)made jams. Today they were: mango and strawberry. I have found that the trick is to use a little of both on the scone (these two flavours really go very well together), but to make sure to save a little to use on one of the potato-carrot pancakes, too. The mini-scone may seem small, but with all of the other stuff they serve you, it is a simple (and very tasty) way to start the meal. I even asked them to skip the roll/toast as I was pretty sure it would all be too much for me to eat.




This was a very good frittata (it was not quite as good as their Greek Frittata, but that one includes spinach, Feta cheese, and real "calamata"/Kalamata olives, all of which are some of my favourites); it was just loaded with fresh spinach (I know I just had spinach in my scramble yesterday, but what can I say, I was brainwashed as a kid by Popeye) and lots of pine nuts. The potato-carrot pancakes do come with some home(plate)made applesauce[3b] and sour cream, but I like to mix and match these with their jams on them, also.

Well, I had ordered a cantaloupe juice, but they brought me a honey dew melon juice instead. It's all good, as it was still fresh "squeezed" and very tasty.

Home Plate offers for condimentary supplements Tabasco® (both Jalapeño and standard red), Cholula®, and Huy Fong Foods® Sriracha Hot Sauce, which is really not that bad of a selection; however, I went with some of my own BIG PAPI En Fuego Hot Sauce ~ Monster Double Medium Hot (Thanks, Kerry!) and a little Benito's Original Naranja Medium (Thanks, me!) on the frittata only (half and half-ed it); no way was I going to mess with the potato-carrot pancakes.

Home Plate has so many good things from which to choose, it could easily be put into my Breakfast Rotation if needed ~ let's just put it this way, if I ever find out there has been any Beer-drinking or fried chicken-eating going on in the kitchens of my current Starters during breakfast, heads will roll, Theo!


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Spinach Frittata ~ 7.1; Potato-carrot pancakes ~ 7.1; Mini-scone and home(plate)made jams ~ 7.0


[1] As stated in my first 'blog-entry about Home Plate, this is their actual slogan on their menus; I would have come up with a much worse pun.

 
[2] Here's a little know fact: Paul Simon originally wanted to call this song "Where Have You Gone, Ted Williams?", but he just couldn't get the meter to work in the song. I don't know why he didn't just go with "Dom DiMaggio" or even "Vince DiMaggio", they were both better Baseball players and much more famous than that guy that was once married to Marilyn Monroe and shilled coffee in the 70's.

 
It is funny to note that I was seated below a wedding photo of Marilyn and Mr. Monroe; they were actually married in San Francisco.

 
[3] You really didn't think you could get through one of my stupid 'blog-entries without a boring, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day or two, did you?!

 
a) Boring, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day, Nummer eins:

 
In German "potato pancakes" are called "Kartoffelpuffer". This comes from "Kartoffel", the German word for "potato", and "puffer", the German word for "Smoking Allowed".

 
b) Boring, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day, Nummer zwei:

 
In German "applesauce" is called "Apfelmus". This comes from "Apfel", the German word for "apple", and "mus", the German word for "hair gel product".

 
I don't make this stuff up, people!

No comments:

Post a Comment