Saturday, February 9, 2013

(BSR) Eats(, Inc.)

"That's a clown head, bro'…"[1]





(Still no official website.)

50 Clement Street (on the corner of 2nd Avenue)

Phonicular contact: (415) 751-8000





(I am including a couple of EweToob videos for Valentine's Day. One is from Sarah Borges ~ as I promised last week I would be spamming everyone here with more of her stuff; this happens to be a cover of a Tom Waits song. The second is another from Tanita Tikaram.)


Continuing with my Breakfastary Rotation Spring Training workout, I went back to (BSR) Eats(, Inc.)[2] (see last 'blog-entry from November 18th, 2012). They open up every day at 8:00am for breakfast, which, even if they didn't already have a place in my line-up, is plenty early enough for my 2013 restrictions.

Due to Winter Storm Nemo back East this weekend, I was going to support everyone back there with some empathetic French toast of my own. (Why do people always wait until hurricanes and blizzards to clean out grocery stores of eggs, milk, and bread?) However, I just had French toast last weekend at Baker Street Bistro and wanted to try something different for a change. The Farmer's (which they have as the singular possessive for some reason, I probably would just have gone with "Farmers" plural as the modifier) Scrambled Eggs ~ cauliflower, mushrooms, corn, zucchini, spring onions, basil, goat cheese, and parsley. That sounded pretty good, but I am pretty sure that I have had a similar version of the Farmer's Scrambled Eggs before there, but they used to make it with kale in it; now if they still made it with the kale, I would probably have gone for that. As it were, I wanted to try something new (for me) and ordered Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes. I also had a side of Excellent! Roasted Home Potatoes and a 12 oz glass of fresh juice squeeze/blend Detox ~ apple, carrot, beet, and ginger.





When the cute server-lady first set the pancakes in front of me (which were two medium-sized pancakes, just enough for my appetite in conjunction with the side of Excellent! Roasted Home Potatoes) I thought that the pancakes just had bananas sliced and on top, but I was happy to see that there were slices of banana in the pancakes along with lots of chocolate chips, and there was also more chocolate syrup striped across the top ~ double your banana and chocolate pleasure. The Detox is really horrible looking, but tastes very good; the apple and ginger really work well to temper any beet-y and carrot-y taste. I was very pleased to see that there were six cloves of roasted garlic today in the Excellent! Roasted Home Potatoes (I didn't have any bread/toast to spread them on, but enjoyed them with the potatoes all the same).

For condimentary supplementation Eats has the standard San Francisco Triumvirate of Hot Sauces (SFToHS for short): Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce; Tapatío®; and Cholula®. I used a good amount of my own Palo Alto Firefighters Pepper Sauce ~ the original/standard flavour (Thanks agains, Amys and Brian!) and (just a few drops of) Big Papi En Fuego Hot Sauce Off The Wall Triple Hot (Thanks, Kerry!) on the Excellent! Roasted Home Potatoes. For the longest time I had been miscalling Palo Alto Firefighters Pepper Sauce as "Palo Alto Fire Fighters Pepper Sauce" and just figured out that the "Firefighters" should be one word as that is how they have it on their web-site. However, the confusion arose when I first went to their web-site through the official Palo Alto Fire Fighters union website, where the union site has "Fire Fighters" as two words in the organization's name; plus, the wording on the bottle label is split into separate words for spacing purposes. I got all of this cleared up recently with a few e-mails back and forth to Lee Taylor (the creator of Palo Alto Firefighters Pepper Sauce). The Big Papi hot sauce was just to kick off Spring Training which starts next week (Pitchers and Catchers are to report on February 11th and all other Players are to report by February 14th; however, due to the recent blizzard-like[3] conditions in the Northeast, a lot of Players may find themselves late in reporting).

http://www.paloaltofirefighters.com/


(Check out their "Testimonials" section. Some idiot named "Brian M from Calif" really must like their hot sauce.)


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes ~ 6.5; Detox ~ 6.7; Excellent! Roasted Home Potatoes ~ 7.5



1. As I was walking down the street after breakfast, I saw this display in the window of the long-closed Busvan for Bargains storefront. They have been displaying some interesting pieces there for several years now. This giant clown's head happened to come from the old Playland at the Beach. This was one of the nine heads suspended from the ceiling of the main building, reflecting the Fun House's theme.

Today's title is a take on one of Bryce Harper's (he's the 19-year old Rookie phenom from the 2012 Washington Nationals) quotes:

"That's a clown question, bro'…"

That was his response when some stupid sports journalist kept pestering him after a win in Toronto if he were going to take advantage of the lower drinking age in Canadialand and celebrate after the game with a few drinks.

2. As I was sitting this morning at one of the window-counter seats, I happened to notice all of their business licenses on the wall. I saw that the actual corporate name of the restaurant is BSR Eats, Inc. "BSR" is just short for "Burma Superstar Restaurant", as this place and its sister restaurant, B Star Bar, a block away are both owned by the same people that own Burma Superstar Restaurant, which is another two blocks down on Clement Street, too.

3. A little dusting of 18-24" of snow and they feel it necessary to close a few international airports. What a bunch of wussies! 


They need to take a page out of Heathrow's book and only close the airport when absolutely necessary ~ like when there is all of 6" of snow, and then you have to keep the airport closed for an additional four and a half days just to be sure (even though all of the snow had been melted and gone for three full days).

No comments:

Post a Comment