Sunday, February 10, 2013

Q Restaurant and Wine Bar

"Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal, and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire’s eye or on the ball."
~ Jim Murray




http://www.qrestaurant.com/



(Suzie was always a lot quter than she was talented, but it's hard to find a good "Q"-reference EweToob video. The reason for the second video? Spring Training officially opens tomorrow.)


Next up in my Breakfastary Rotation was Q Restaurant and Wine Bar (see last 'blog-entry from November 10th, 2012). This will have to be an exception to my 2013 restrictions, as they don't open up on Saturday or Sunday until 10:00am for "Brunch", but my 'blog, my 'rules. I sat at a table with a racetrack and action figurines/toys tableau this morning. I was planning on sitting at the "Wooly Willy" table again, and had even remembered to bring my own magnet for a change, but it just wasn’t strong enough to work the metal filings; I will have to keep trying and find an extra strong magnet one of these days.





Q has a pretty decent standard "Brunch" menu and they offer a changing weekly "Extra Brunch Specials" (not to be confused with standard "Brunch Specials" or "Extra Special Brunches"). Off of that menu I ordered Corn Scramble ~ with shallots, cilantro, and white Cheddar; with homefries (they have it as two words on their menus, but I prefer the correct one-word spelling) and buttered toast (Have you ever been to a restaurant where they serve the toast unbuttered?). I also had a large glass of grapefruit (still an actual berry, by the way) juice (which they have as "fresh squeezed" on the menu, but it was actually "fresh squeezed" by the good people at Odwalla®).




It really wasn't specified on the menu, but this was made with scrambled eggs and lots of corn. This was good, and made with lots of (roasted?) corn in it, but it was still missing something extra; maybe something else added like fresh basil would have been nice. It was still better than anything I could make (if I ever had eggs… or corn… or shallots… or cilantro in my refrigerator). Their homefries are always very good, too. (The toast was just bread toasted; even I make that at home all the time in my vertical bread heating unit thingy.)

Q has several different bottles from which to choose for condimentary supplements, to include: Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce; Tapatío® (which is basically the SFToHS, less Cholula®, but with a few additional choices); Castillo® Salsa Habanero; and Original "Louisiana" Brand Hot Sauce. That is a pretty decent selection; however, I used some of my own collection Serious Food… Silly Prices Mango Hot Sauce (Thanks, Cindy & Greg!) on the homefries, and just the smallest amount (and I truly mean "the smallest amount") of One Stop Hot Shop "Son of Smart Arse" Sauce (Thanks again, Cindy & Greg!) on the scramble. I literally only used a few toothpick drops (I actually brought my own toothpick with me to use specifically for that purpose) of the son of a bi… er, "Son of Smart Arse", maybe five to ten drops tops, and I could still feel the heat from that crazy hot sauce (No, really. Thanks a lot, again, Cindy & Greg!!! Maybe you mistook me for Leopold von Sacher-Masoch with that gift. Are you happy that I am including you in these admonitions now, Greg?!). I probably still have a good fifteen- to twenty-year supply of that small bottle left. I wonder if hot sauces have a half-life…

With today's bill they brought a Tootsie Roll® Midgee (the plain cocoa flavoured), which is always nice.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Corn Scramble ~ 6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment