Saturday, March 30, 2013

Irving Street Cafe

"Once a woman has forgiven her man, she must not reheat his sins for breakfast."
~ Marlene Dietrich





(No official web-site.)

716 Irving Street (between 9th and 8th Avenues)

phonicular contact: (415) 664-1366





(Shhh! There is no connection between today's breakfast and this EweToob video; it's just a new song and I like it.)


I went back to Irving Street Cafe (see last 'blog-entry from October 15th, 2011) for breakfast this morning. It is a good thing that they are still located on Irving Street or they would have to change their name. It was early enough in the morning still that I was able to park a block away in Golden Gate Park, which is nice because it is free and legal for four hours at a time. I once again sat at the diner countertop instead of one of the tables.

Irving Street Cafe has a lot of things from which to choose on their standard breakfast menu (Egg Platters, Omelettes, Scrambled Egg Specials, and Griddle Combinations), but I went back there specifically to get (off their Breakfast Specials board/menu): Breakfast Burrito ~ made with one, two, or three eggs; a choice of either dead, decaying swine flesh sausage or an applewood-smoked dead, decaying chicken flesh sausage; choices of bell peppers, onions, and tomatoes; and a choice of cheese: Cheddar, 'merican, Swiss, or Monterey Jack. This is served with a side of hashbrowns. I also had a large glass of orange juice.





This comes as an extra large San Francisco-style burrito. The beauty of this is that they will really make this any way that you ask them to. I had this with two eggs scrambled (I skipped the sausage things), bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, with Monterey Jack, and instead of the hashbrowns on the side, I had them put the potatoes in with the entire mess. This was very good; they scrambled all of the ingredients together (including the hashbrowns) on the grill and then stuffed it all inside a large flour tortilla (just in case anyone has no idea what a burrito is). However, I am sure that even I could have made this dish at home… if I had a regulation-size grill… or if I ever had any eggs… or bell peppers… or onions… or tomatoes… or hashbrowns… or Monterey Jack cheese… or tortillas, even.

Irving Street Cafe offers for condimentary supplementation both Castillo®
Salsa Habeanra Roja and Huy Fong Foods, Inc.® Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce ("Rooster Sauce"). I used some of the Castillo® on part of the burrito as well as some of my own hot sauces: Palo Alto Firefighters Pepper Sauce ~ the standard version (Thanks agains, Amys and Brian!); Youk's Hot Sauce (Thanks, me!); and Big Papi En Fuego Hot Sauce Off The Wall Triple Hot (Thanks, Kerry!) on other parts of the burrito. The main reason I made sure to use the last two hot sauces is that Baseball Season starts tomorrow with one nationally televised game and on Monday, April Fools Day (no joke), for all of the other teams!

I was happy to see that in keeping with the whole Basball-y theme, a stick of Wrigley's gum comes with the check.

After breakfast I walked around on Irving Street a bit and stopped in to Beanery Coffee Roasters (the one on Irving, not the one on 9th Street) and got a small cuppa Roaster's Blend (dark roast) along with a Semifreddi's Pecan Roll.

 
http://www.semifreddis.com/


(There is no official web-site for Beanery.)

I was surprised to see that I didn't come across any stupid parklets along my way to or from breakfast, I mean it is such a looooong way to have to walk to enjoy some outdoor, fresh-air parks.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Breakfast Burrito ~ 6.4; Beanery Roaster's Blend ~ 6.5; Semifreddi's Pecan Roll ~ 6.3

No comments:

Post a Comment