Saturday, March 16, 2013

STRAW Carnival Fare

"That's a clown meal, bro'…"



http://strawsf.com/



(The first EweToob video link actually goes right along with the theme of today's restaurant. However, contrary to popular belief, the second song has nothing to do with the recent election of Pope the Talking Mule earlier in the week, I just liked the additional duet of Daryl Hall and K.T. Tunstall.

Besides, K.T. can spiel my Glocken any day.

Does anyone else see a small resemblance between Daryl Hall and Norman "Daryl" Reedus?)


Sorry, Bryce, but I went back to STRAW Carnival Fare (see last 'blog-entry from July 14th, 2012) for breakfast this morning. Even though they actually open at 10:00am and their first meal of the weekend is called "Brunch", once again I forewent my 2013 breakfastary resolution restrictions (my 'damn 'blog, my 'damn 'rules, 'after 'all). STRAW filled up almost as soon as they opened this morning (which is to be expected with inside seating for a maximum of 28 and two sidewalk tables that can seat 2-3 people each). Plus, they are close enough to Market Street/Civic Center for people to head over to San Francisco's Saint Patrick's Day Parade and Festival later this morning/afternoon. Which answered one of my questions: What's up with all the green clothes today? (Hey, how come there is no Saint Francis Day celebration? This is San Francisco, right?)

The Wild Parrots of San Francisco Interlude
I had parked my car over on Haight Street (two blocks away and legally all day if I wanted) and heard a few of the feathered beasts flying overhead, but didn't see any of them when I looked up. I am not sure where (or if) they roost in Hayes Valley.

Speaking of the newly-elected Pope, this is one of my favourite times of the year with all the award shows and such (the Oscars were two weeks ago, the Golden Globes were held in January, and the Emmys are later in June). Of course, the most highly-anticipated award show of the year is always the Papal Choice Awards. However, it is always a foregone conclusion that Mel Gibson will sweep them. For some reason, both Steven Spielberg and Jody Foster never even get nominated for these.

STRAW has a few stupid vegetarian "Brunch" choices and I have tried most of them already. It was going to be a choice between either rancher's reserve (their version of Huevos Rancheros) and what I ended up ordering, hanky panky ~ Belgian waffle/(two) fried egg(s)/maple-glazed bacon/cheddar potato croquettes[1]. I also had a cuppa San Francisco Coffee Company.

http://www.sfcoffeecompany.com/





This was very a very good breakfast. My server was nice enough to offer and substitute some avocado (and it was a full half) in place of the dead, decaying pork belly. However, I just have one little thing to point out, there was only one egg on top of the waffle; the printed menu said "eggs" and the on-line menu states "two eggs". I am sure that was just an oversight. Surprisingly enough, the avocado went well on top of the waffle (and with some added maple syrup even), but that is just me; it was the whole sweet-savoury thing with some added hot sauce, too. The croquettes were very good (and I was pleased to see that there were two of them); I think these may have been even better with some fresh corn kernels added inside.

I like that they serve the water in Kerr "Self Sealing" mason jars. Plus, the coffee is served in miscellaneous, non-matching mugs. Today mine read: "BFF"; how did they know that I was a huge fan of the Bangladesh Football Federation? I told the owner(?)/manager(?) guy that I would try to remember to bring a new coffee mug with me from some exotic location the next time I go on vacation (Is Cape Cod considered "exotic" to Californians?) à la Eddie's Cafe (see last 'blog-entry from January 7th, 2012; I really haven't been back to Eddie's since then as I am afraid that the Statute of Scoville Heat Unit Limitations hasn't expired yet. Yeah, I am talking to you Cindy and Greg.).

STRAW no longer carries Bicycle Coffee Company which is a bit of a shame as they are a good, local brand. When I asked the owner(?)/manager(?) guy, he explained that they stopped carrying this brand as it was becoming too pricey (about $20.00/pound) to be profitable without charging customers $4.50 a cup. This is really no matter as the current brand of coffee was still a good, strong cuppa; I just think that Bicycle Coffee Company is better. Of course, this didn't stop me from having two more refills, though.

STRAW only offers for condimentary supplementation Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (and just the standard red). So I used some of my own Youk's Hot Sauce (Thanks, Brian!) on top of the egg (singular) and a little Big Papi En Fuego Hot Sauce Off The Wall Triple Hot (Thanks, Kerry!) on the croquettes (plural). Some people get the misimpression (now I actually thought that was going to be a bogus word, but Billy Gee and his auto-spellchecker Nazis at Microsoft seem to be fine with it) that I don't like Tabasco® products, but that really isn't the case. Tabasco® makes a decent enough product, which supplies a nice kick of heat and flavour. I just think that most of my own hot sauces are much more flavourful and have a bit more heat (e.g. Palo Alto Firefighters Pepper Sauce). My main complaint with Tabasco® would be that it is a bit too salty for my tastes (salt is one of the main three ingredients in it, after all).


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: hanky panky ~ 6.5; San Francisco Coffee Company ~ 6.5


1. Stupid, useless cunning linguist/pseudo-culinaristic pointer du jour:

"Croquette" isn't French for "frog". It comes from the French verb "croquer", meaning "to crunch".

No comments:

Post a Comment