Sunday, May 12, 2013

Art’s Cafe

Happy Mothers Day (to those of you that are) or Happy Tortoise Day (to those of you that are, too)!




http://www.artscafesf.com/



(Sorry. I couldn’t locate any good Tortoise Day songs on EweToob, so this will have to do.)


On the way out of town for one last breakfastary adventure in San Francisco, I took my brother Sean to Art's Cafe (see last 'blog-entry from November 20th, 2011) over on Irving Street in the Sunset. Art's Cafe opens at 7:30am on Sunday, and we were in there by about 8:30am. Unlike Monday when we dropped Alison off at the Oakland Airport, I wanted to make sure that there was plenty of time to eat and get to the airport. Mission accomplished, as I got Sean to the Airport before 10:00am for a 12:05pm flight.

Art's Cafe has a lot of good, standard Diner-fare things (omelettes, pancakes, French Toast, egg cetera) from which to choose on their menu; however, they are best known for their simple, but sublime, hashbrowns. We both ordered off the Specialties (hashbrown sandwiches) portion of the menu. These are a nifty little invention where they stuff ingredients into crispy hashbrowns that are folded over. These are all made with melted Cheddar cheese on the hashbrowns, and served with two eggs (cooked how you like 'em) and toast. Sean had the Bacon Hashbrown Sandwich and I had the Vegetarian Hashbrown Sandwich. We both had a large glass of orange juice (well, that would be two large glasses; we didn't share one with a straw or anything).





I have had this strange (but tasty) concoction once before at Art's Cafe. Any time potatoes are the main focus of a meal, I am right there. I probably should have gone "off-menu" and ordered this with spinach and tofu in it instead (which is what I said I was going to do the last time that I was there) ~ next time. We both had our eggs over medium, but they are not really the focus of the meal. Once again, I really enjoyed mine; they sauté all of the vegetables before adding them to the "sandwich". Sean said his was very good, too; however, that is much to be expected from a Bacon-a-holic.

Art's Cafe offers for condimentary supplementation both Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (the standard red) and Tapatío®. I didn't bring any of my own hot sauces with me this morning because I knew that they also have Gochujang[1] in plastic bottles that can be used if requested. I requested, and used a good amount all over the "sandwich" and also on top of both eggs (the toast I just left plain and buttered). Gochujang adds just a little bit of heat, but a lot of flavour.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Vegetarian Hashbrown Sandwich ~ 7.2; Bacon Hashbrown Sandwich ~ 7.2

1. Just be glad that I couldn't find a good stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer for this word. However, if you want to learn more about Gochujang, please see the link from our friends at Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gochujang


No comments:

Post a Comment