Sunday, May 5, 2013

Chestnut st Diner

¡Feliz Cinco de Mayo! Καλό Πάσχα! and Happy Lonesome Losers Day!



http://www.chestnutstdiner.com/



(It's not often that three major holidays fall on the same day. For an explanation on the last, lesser-known holiday please see 'blog-entry from Sunday, May 8th, 2011. I have determined that this holiday shall fall on the first Sunday in May so as not to be confused with that other completely made-up holiday that falls on the second Sunday in May.)


I ventured to another place that I had never eaten breakfast at yet: Chestnut ST Diner. Coincidentally enough, they are located on Chestnut Street (at Van Ness Avenue); this is basically in the same neighborhood as yesterday's breakfast, but just a block away and in a much less traveled area than on Lombard Street. They have five diner booths that seat four each, 12-14 diner counter stools, and two tables for two. They open daily at 7:00am, which is always a plus.

Chestnut ST Diner has a standard diner-ish breakfast menu and they also offer several different omelettes (just no "omellettes"). To celebrate Cinco de Mayo, I went with the El Magnificao! (sic) omelette ~ tomatoes, avocado, green onions, mild fire-roasted California green chilies, fresh salsa, Monterey Jack, and sour cream; served with a choice of either hash brown (noted as singular and two words) or country potato (also in the singular, and they really didn't specify which country), and a choice of toast (I just assumed that this is both singular and plural; I chose sourdough this morning). I also had a large glass of "fresh squeezed" orange juice (which actually came from a plastic gallon jug, though).





While this wasn’t exactly "magnifico" (or "magnificao", even), it was still very good (or gaood). I liked all of the ingredients that were in it. I really liked that they offer two different types of breakfast potatoes, and the hashbrowns (there was more than one, I was pleased to see) were very good and extra crispy.

For condimentary supplements, Chestnut ST Diner only had Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (the standard red). I used some of my own Mama Africa's Zulu Sauce Chilli Mint (Thanks, Kerry!) on the potatoes and some El Yucateco® XXXtra Hot Sauce Salsa Kutbil-ik® de Chile Habanero (Thanks, Brian!) on the omelette.

I skipped a cuppa coffee at the diner, but I did see that they offer Peerless Coffee®, which is a pretty decent brand. Instead, right now I am enjoying a cuppa Peet's® Café Domingo®[1] ("Smooth, Balanced, Medium Bodied.") while I type this out. This was a freebie that Peet's® was giving out yesterday to advertise that they now offer several of their roasts/blends to be used in the single-cup Keurig-style machines. (Hint: You know, even if you don't own one of those fancy-shmancy coffee machines, these single-cups work pretty much the same in a filter and drip-cup manner. It's almost like real coffee.)

http://www.peets.com/coffee/coffee-shop-by-category-medium-roast/cafe-domingo-wholebean-each.html


http://www.peets.com/coffee/single-cups.html


And I was very happy to see that I didn't need "a reservation" to have breakfast at this establishment this morning.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: El Magnificao! ~ 6.4 (No points are ever taken off for misspellings.); Peet's Café Domingo ~ 6.8


1. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer del día:

Just because it is "Sunday", I will tell you that is what "Domingo" means in Spanish.

No comments:

Post a Comment