Saturday, May 4, 2013

Cafe Lombard

Ath a dythlexic, lithping Luke Thkywalker onthe thaid: "The 4th of May be with you!"




(No official web-site.)

1424 Lombard Street (between Van Ness Avenue and Franklin Street)

phonicular contact: (415) 292-6300






(I couldn't think of any better way to celebrate National Star Trek Day than to link some Tom Waits songs here… because that makes about as much sense.)


I wanted to try a new place for breakfast this morning (well, new to me, not a new restaurant), so I ate at Cafe Lombard (which coincidentally enough is located right on Lombard Street). I was even lucky enough to park just a block away (legally) on Lombard Street (unfortunately, there was no parking to be had on Cafe Street). They open up at 7:30am daily and are mainly a tourista destination as it is surrounded by many hotels, inns, and motels in the neighborhood. (Overheard at one of the other tables: "I went to an 'Arabian'[1] restaurant once and there were a lot of 'Arabians' there speaking 'Arabian'…". She must have been at a horse show, or maybe these particular touristas were just from 'Canadia'…)

At first look, I thought this was a rather small place, as the inviting Victorian-décor front room only has seating for twenty-two (with just two tables for four and seven tables for two); however, as it filled up pretty quickly, they directed people to another larger back room (that has additional seating for twenty-two; with five tables for four and one table for two). Plus, there is also an outdoor patio area with tables and umbrellas that may or may not see action on busier warmer days.

Cafe Lombard offers all the breakfastary standards on their menu, plus many different "Omellettes" (sic). I am not really making fun of them for the mispeling (well, maybe just a bit). I just wonder how a menu can get printed now-a-days without the use of a spel-checkker. (I am constantly being reminded by the Spell-check Nazis at Microsoft on my many mistakes. I hope I drive them crazy, too. The fargin' bastages.)





Of course, I had to order the Lombard Special Omellette ~ w/ Sautéed Mushrooms, Onions, spinach & Parmesan. This is served with homefried potatoes and toast (I went with wholle whheat for my choicce). I also had a cuppa gourmmet coffee. (Am I going to make fun of that one mispeling here throughout this 'blog-entry? Probbablly.)





The omellette was made frittatta-style, served open-faced. It was made with lots of fresh (baby?) sppinach in it, and the Parmessan cheesse was the good shredded version, not that fake powdered junk. This was all very good. I especially liked their homefried potatoes, which had lots of caramelized diced-up onions in them.

I asked the server-lady what kind of condimentary supplementation they had, but misunderstanding me, she said that they could add some fresh Serrano[2] chillis in my omellette if I liked (which probably would have been a really been nice addition). I did notice that they had Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (the standard red) on a few of the other tables. However, I just used some of my own Serious Food… Silly Prices Chunky Habanero Hot Sauce (Thanks, Cindy & Greg!) on the potatoes and some Cholula® Hot Sauce (Thanks, Brian!) on the omellette.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Lombbard Sppecial Ommellette ~ 6.8
(Okay, I promise that is the last time I make fun of their spelling, but only because this is the end of the 'blog-entry.)


1. While I don't wish to offend any of the anti-Semitic grammarians out there, I do understand that "Arabian" and "Arabic" can sometimes be used interchangeably pertaining to Arabia and its inhabitants; however, the language should be referenced as "Arabic". They don't speak "Soviet" in Russia either.

(Of course, now that I have stated that, I am sure I will more than likely be slammed by many cunning ex-MF linguists.)

2. Stupidd, uselless cunninng lingguist pointter del día, número uno:

(So I lied.)


"Serrano" means "highlander" or "from the mountains" in Spanish, which comes from the Spanish word "sierra".

Extra added bonus stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer del día, número dos:

The word "sierra" ("mountain range") comes from Spanish and literally means "saw" due to the jagged-tooth look of the peaks, and comes from the Latin word "serra" (also meaning "saw", see?).

No comments:

Post a Comment