Sunday, April 6, 2014

Dottie’s True blue café


"every cloud
has its silver 
lining but it is 
sometimes a little 
difficult to get it to 
the mint"
~ archy the cockroach[1] (Don Marquis)



http://dotties.biz/


Place: Dottie's True blue café  
Location: 28 Sixth Street (on the corner of Stevenson Street)
Hours: open for breakfast every day of the week at 7:30am (except for Tuesday and Wednesday when they are closed)
Meal: Zucchini Cakes ~ topped with poached eggs & spicy Marinara, fruit, & potatoes; and a cuppa Coffee





(Today's EweToobular juxtaselections are mainly because Dottie's True blue café normally has old 1930's and 1940's songs playing on the house stereo.)


It's no big secret that I am a major ideologue of Dottie's True blue café (see last 'blog-entry from January 19th, 2014). So, in keeping with my Breakfastary Rotation workout, I went back there this morning. I arrived there bright and early (because dark and late would never work for breakfast) and really only had a five to ten minute wait before they opened the doors this morning. I was seated with the first horde of hungry diners (I was actually the fifth person in line). I had parked just a few (safe) steps away on Sixth Street again this morning (if you get over there before 8:00am, there are usually lots of free, legal parking spots nearby and in not too sketchy areas).

On the front counter (and right next to where I was sitting, so I made sure to play with all of them), there are several snow-globes that people have given to Kurt from all over the World. I saw one from the Sundance Film Festival and one with the Acropolis (now, the person that gave that one must be a Francis Ford Coppola fan). This is just a small sample of their collection; they used to have more displayed at their old location (where there was a lot less space to do so, too).




There were a few other decent options listed among the daily Chalkboard Specials: Avocado, Tomato, Jalapeño, Scallion, Corn, & Feta Frittata (I was not exactly sure what ingredients this might include, so I skipped it this morning); Banana-Raspberry Rice Flour Pancakes (I have never had those and really have to try them one of these days; by the way, bananas are an actual botanical berry, but raspberries are not); or Sweet Potato, Caramelized Red Onion, & Gruyere Tart (I have actually had this one before and know it's another winner).




Sure, I just had the Zucchini Cakes two visits previously, but they really are one of my favourite selections at Dottie's and I wanted to make sure I had them at least once this year while they are available. (These honestly should be added to their standard daily menu.) While waiting in line, I talked the unsuspecting couple from Dee-troit in front of me into ordering the Zucchini Cakes, too (where I used my stupid Uova Benedetto joke/explanation on them ~ mainly because I don't know the Italiano word for "zucchini").

Today's cup (small bowl, whatever) of side fruits were: blueberries (an actual botanical berry), strawberries (not an actual botanical berry), blackberries (also not an actual botanical berry), cantaloupe (an actual botanical berry), and watermelon (and, as strange as it may seem, an actual botanical berry, too).[2]

Even knowing full well (Has anyone ever known anything "half-cistern"?) that Dottie's has one of the better offerings of condimentary supplements (Tabasco® Brand Hot Sauce ~ the standard red, green jalapeño, and Chipotle; Tapatío®; and Frank's® RedHot® Chile 'n Lime), I still used some of my own Hula Girl Chipotle Habanero (Thanks, Jim!) ~ just a small amount ~ on top of the eggs to both complement and compliment the spicy Marinara sauce; I also used a decent amount of Born to Hula presents Devon Allman's Chipotle Blues (Thanks, Kerry!) on the potatoes ~ potatoes and chipotle really are a great flavour combination. The guy sitting next to me at the counter this morning had ordered something that came with grilled chili-cheddar cornbread and pepper jelly. I noticed that he poured what was left of the jelly all over his homefries, too. That sounds like a great idea and I will have to try that at home one of these days as I actually have a jar of Dottie's Own Chipotle Pepper Jelly (Sweet Heat! ~ It's Hot and Cool!) in my refrigerator. 


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Zucchini Cakes ~ 7.6 


1. In keeping with the whole early 20th Century (musical) theme, I used this quote from the archy and mehitabel newspaper column by Don Marquis. For those of you who are not familiar with his writing, here is some extra-added information from our friendly friends at Wikipedia:


2. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointers of the day:

(Just because I haven't spammed anyone with any of these for the past few 'blog-entries, I am including these this morning. So there!)

"Fruit/fruits" in Italiano is "frutta" (yeah, that is a real tough one for someone without any linguistic talents).

"Blueberry/Blueberries" in Italiano is "mirtillo/mirtilli". I think it is the same word used for "bilberry" and "huckleberry", Mr. Butler.

"Strawberry/Strawberries" in Italiano is "fragola/fragole".

"Blackberry/Blackberries" in Italiano is "mora/more".

"Cantaloupe" in Italiano is "cantalupo" (another stretch for the linguistically-challenged).

"Watermelon" in Italiano is "anguria".

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this great review and I have to say that the Cab Calloway simply made my day! :)

    Eugen @ The Munch Ado Blog

    ReplyDelete