Saturday, April 25, 2015

grindz


"I see love
As something that
Either works or doesn't.
It's as simple as that."
~ Peter Holsapple



http://www.grindzrestaurant.com/


Place: grindz
Location: 832 Clement Street (between 9th and 10th Avenues)
Hours: open for "Brunch" Friday, Saturday, & Sunday at 9:00am
Meal: Kalua Benedict ~ toasted Hawai'ian bread, Kalua pig, taro leaves, 2 poached eggs, tarragon Hollandaise, Plantation Potatoes; and a cuppa (and two refillas) Bicycle Coffee co 





(Today is the anniversary of the birth of that legendary Irish-American singer, Ella Jane Fitzgerald [back in 1917]. The first song is also one of my favourite renditions of "Mack the Knife" ~ forgotten lyrics and all. I would normally link a EweToobular juxtaselection of something either Hawai'ianese or Reggae when dining at this place, but Lady Ella trumps all… Louis Armstrong just trumpets, of course.)


I went back to grindz (see last 'blog-entry from January 17th, 2015) to continue my springtime workout of my Breakfastary Starting Rotation.




I have already had everything that they offer (that are viable options for stupid vegetarians ~ which is about five dishes only) a few times over now, but I did notice that they have a new "Brunch" Special for you meatatarians out there: Biscuits 'n' Gravy ~ sage & rosemary sausage, scrambled eggs, jalapeño & Cheddar biscuit.




Of course, I got my meal less the dead, decaying Kalua pig-stuff, bra'. This is now made with creamed and chopped taro leaves (something like creamed spinach consistency). I liked the original version better that I have had there a few times before which was made with whole (and un-creamed) taro leaves. This was still good and interesting, but just not as remarkable (even though I am remarking on it here) of a dish really.

This was also a little disappointing, the new version of their Plantation Potatoes does not include any bell peppers, onions, or celery. I liked their original version of this one much better, too.

grindz has on all the tables for condimentary supplementation their own Hawai'ian Spicy Ketchup. I used some of my own The Wiltshire Chilli Farm smoked Chipotle chilli sauce generously on the potatoes and some Mango hot chilli sauce on just one of the poached eggs (Thanks for both of those hot sauces, Cindy & Greg!). I also used a small amount of their Hawai'ian Spicy Ketchup on the last of the potatoes, because it is pretty tasty and it was there.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Kalua Benedict ~ 6.4 (their old version was more of a 6.9-7.0, though)

No comments:

Post a Comment