Sunday, September 27, 2015

the Bistro Restaurant at Cliff House




http://cliffhouse.com/bistro/


Place: the Bistro Restaurant at Cliff House
Location: 1090 Point Lobos (at the end of the Earth/Ocean Beach)
Hours: open for breakfast Monday - Saturday at 9:00am; open Sunday at 8:30am
Meal: Farmer's Breakfast Scramble ~ scrambled eggs, ham, potatoes, green onions, Cheddar cheese, served with fresh fruit; a cuppa (and two refillas) Peerless Coffee & Tea® (well, just the Coffee part); and a basket of (World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!)



(I may have already used this George Ivan song before [Once again, that would be "before today", Mr. Nosey Parker-Brandt.], but so what?! It's George Ivan. You got a problem with that?!)


As it's the last weekend in September (hence, the above George Ivan EweToobular reference) and the last week of Regular Season MLB is also upon us, I am closing out my Breakfastary Starting Rotation with yet still another return visit to the Bistro Restaurant at Cliff House (see last 'blog-entry from May 9th, 2015), and that always means a Perfect Game (or Grand Slam; you can choose your own Basebally metaphor) with more (World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!).




Of course, I had them omit the dead, decaying porcine stuff from my scrambled egg dish (for which, they added extra potatoes, which are always more than welcome). This was very good as always, but they could literally serve me S.O.S. and I would still go back again and again because...

Today's basket of (World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!) contained FIVE (5!) (World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!)! I saw fit to make sure all of them were eaten today, too. I actually finished all of the (World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!) before I finished the rest my meal just to make sure that I would have room for them. Usually, three (World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!) are more than sufficient for me, and four (World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!) are pushing it for my appetite, but I still wasn't going to waste any of them this morning. The beauty of this place is that if you would like even more, they will always bring out more.

Today's fresh fruit(s) were: grapes (of both the green/white and red variety), a (large) strawberry, watermelon, honeydew melon, and cantaloupe.

For condimentary supplements, the Bistro Restaurant has just Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (Original Red Sauce). I used some of my own Lucky Dog Medium Fire-Roasted Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Brian!) on half of the scrambled mess and a full packet of Shing Kee Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce (Thanks, Brian and some random Vietnamese sandwich shop from which I had lifted a few of these packets!) on the other half.

Cows in Berkeley? Penguins on Ocean Beach?!?

https://www.facebook.com/CliffHouseSF/photos/a.361651494466.189469.317243084466/10153648431804467/?type=3&theater

The above photo appeared yesterday on the Cliff House defacedbook page. There really was no explanation or follow-up story, but knowing that I was heading there this morning anyway, I made sure to check out just WTH(eck) this was all about. It is not a hoax in any way. According to a few of the credible workers at the Bistro Restaurant, this photo was really taken yesterday along Ocean Beach (in the little beach-cove area in front of where the Sutro Baths ruins are). It is either a photo of a verrrrry wayward Galapagos Penguin (Spheniscus mendiculus) or (more likely) a Common Murre (Uria aalge).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galapagos_penguin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_murre

After breakfast, I made sure to make a hike down to the beach to investigate for myself. Unfortunately, from any visible footprints that were still on the beach (or lack thereof), I can neither confirm nor deny which bird it actually might have been. I like to think it really was a little Penguin-guy that was extremely lost and was taking a rest on our peaceful shore. (Hey, Chilly Willy lived in Alaska with Polar Bears; so anything is possible.) While there were no Penguins (nor Common Murres) seen this morning, I did see both a Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) and a Great Egret (Ardea alba) fishing for their own respective breakfasts in the small lagoon that has replaced the pool area of the old Sutro Baths.





Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Farmer's Breakfast Scramble ~ 6.6; (World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!) ~ 8.3 (I normally rate these at 8.2, but I am giving this an additional 0.1 GBS Rating points for the quantity this morning); Penguins (if believable) on Ocean Beach ~ 8.9

No comments:

Post a Comment