Saturday, October 28, 2017

Kitchen Story


However, I am pretty sure that Rat's Benedict would not be very tasty or breakfastary no matter how much mango salsa or gochujang you pile on top of it...



http://kitchenstorysf.com/


Place: Kitchen Story

Location: 3499 16th Street 
(on the corner of Sanchez Street)

Hours: open daily from 8 a.m.

Meal: Red & Green Benedict ~ spinach (that would be the "Green" in the name), mushroom (I suppose "Red & Green & Brown Benedict" would sound too strange), roasted tomato (hence the "Red" in the name), mango salsa, served on Ciabatta toast with rainbow potato (they have "potato" in the singularity, but there were actually plenty of different varietals of potato included); and a glassa fresh Raspberry Lemonade






(If you are wondering just what in the h*ck are the EweToobular juxtaselections for today's videos/songs, well, it is a well-known fact that both Bruce Cockburn[1] [and that is pronounced "Coe-burn"; sorry to curtail any of you perverted pun-dits' comments] and Ali Campbell[2] are big fans of mango salsa. I am not sure why the last video is there, though.[3])


Finishing up with my visits to all of the (known and/or local) restaurants in this Korean family-owned mini-chain, I returned to Kitchen Story (see last 'blog-entry from Saturday, June 10th, 2017) this morning for breakfast. Kitchen Story was the fourth of the five (that I know of) in this mini-chain; it has been open only since November 2012.

Whenever I park over in the Castro, as an ironic lark (not to be confused with a "sarcastic sparrow" ~ because those are the worst in the aviary world), I always like to park on Beaver Street. For some reason, there is usually a lot of ample parking spaces on that street.

There are still a few other good ideas from which to select at this place, too:

Big Hass Omelet ~ bacon (which, of course, I would have had removed ~ forcibly, if necessary), mushroom, spinach, avocado, Kimchi Pico De Gallo, (I am not so sure that I would have been able to have this ingredient included, too; I think they make their own Kimchi and it is made with the dead, decaying aquatic insects in it), mild Cheddar; served with Butter Croissant (I am not sure if that is meant as a "hot, buttered croissant", or just their way of reemphasizing that croissants are known for their buttteryness) and rainbow potato (again this is in the singularness on their menu, but I am sure there is more than one potato employed [no one likes a down-on-his-luck, out of work spud] and more than one kind of potato, too);

Primavera Omelet ~ egg whites, roasted tomato, arugula, mushroom; served with Butter Croissant and rainbow potato (this same dish is offered at a few of their other locations, too);

or

Grilled Veggie (ugh!) Morning Melt ~ mushroom, asparagus, arugula, red onion, avocado, cherry pepper; made with Pain De Mie bread, cilantro aioli; served with organic salad (other than that odious "Veggie" moniker, this sounds like it would be right up my asparagus-alley).

Unfortunately for me, they only offer the Original Stone Pot Breakfast (aka Dolsot Bibimbap[4] in Korean-speak) ~ served in a steaming hot stone pot: minced pork (which would be minced and left out for me), smoky sauce (aka gochujang), jasmine rice, fried egg, seasonal mushrooms, carrot, cilantro, bean sprout, asparagus, pimento, and cucumber. Mix and enjoy! ~ on their Weekday Breakfast Menu (under the subtitle: Mom's Specials). I was actually looking forward to/planning on ordering this one (insert "frowny-face" emoji here), but only found out this morning that it is not listed on their Weekend Breakfast Menu (where many of the same items from their Weekday Breakfast Menu can be found). I highly doubt that I will ever be able to get over there for breakfast during the week, though. Oh, well.




There was nothing beige (see, when you mix lighter shades of red and green you will get a kinda beige colour) about this Red & Green Benedict. This was another good variation on ol' Benny's eggs. It was topped with a very good mango salsa (which was done in a pico de gallo-style... or would that be "pico de Rhode Island Red"-style?). However, I liked the Wasabi Hollandaise that I had at Sweet Maple two weeks ago a little better as a topping (now a Mango Hollandaise... ). Even so, I really liked the Ciabatta toast as a replacement for plain ol' boring Mr. Thomas' faux crumpets. Plus, the roasted tomatoes were a great addition (even one that Greg Kipe may have enjoyed).

There were these two deep fried spaghetti strings/pieces (What is the word for a single length of spaghetti?) stuck into the dish as a garnishment (I am not sure if you can see them clearly in the above photo). As is the case, no edible garnishment ever goes uneaten with me. (Well, I just hope they were pieces of deep fried spaghetti... otherwise, I just ate two wooden skewers for breakfast... and enjoyed them.)

For condimentary supplementation, as with the last four restaurants in this family-chain, Kitchen Story offers Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (both Original Red Sauce and Green Jalapeño Sauce); and, like a few other of their other restaurants, they also offer Tapatio® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce. In keeping with the whole brown theme (see, if you add red and green together you get shades of brown) this morning, I made sure to use some Original Red Sauce on top of one of the poached eggs and some Green Jalapeño Sauce on top of the other poached egg. I also used some of my own Palo Alto Fire Fighters XXX Ghost Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Amys and Brian!) all over the rainbow potato (or potatoe, Mr. Quayle). I had specifically packed that bottle of hot sauce with me this morning in antici......(Say it!)......pation of juxtatastioning it on the Dolsot Bibimbap with some of their own gochujang.

"And we ate happilly ever after once again. The End."


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Red & Green Benedict ~ 6.9

___________________

1. I have never been lucky enough to have seen Bruce Cockburn perform live, but I have enjoyed his music for almost forty years now. (Man, is he old!)

http://brucecockburn.com/

2. Now, I was lucky enough to see UB40 perform live once ~ in the Summer of 1986, coincidentally enough, for their world tour of the Rat in the Kitchen album.

http://ub40.global/

3. I did also get to see Green on Red perform live in 
ol' (at the time, still as of yet un-reunified West) Berlin-town one time, back in 1985. I even have the album (yes, as in vinyl ~ and it is a very cool green translucent vinyl, too) that this song is on. 

http://www.greenonred.net/

4. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer(s) of the day:

part a:

"Dolsot"/"돌솥" literally means "stone pot".

part b:

"Bibimbap"/"비빔밥" literally means "mixed rice".

Dolsot bibimbap is probably one of my favourite Korean dishes. As a vegetarian, I am kinda limited in which dishes I can try, anyway. While I may not have had this dish "hundreds of times" over the years, I am pretty sure that I have had it at least "dozens of times" (there are several Korean restaurants in my neighborhood that I have been to many, many times). It is usually my go-to (or, perhaps, go-chujang) dish at a Korean restaurant.

http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/FO/FO_EN_6_5_2_3.jsp

No comments:

Post a Comment