Sunday, November 12, 2017

Delancey Street Restaurant




http://www.delanceystreetfoundation.org/enterrestaurant.php

(This is not the greatest web-site, but it is all they have to offer.)


Place: Delancey Street Restaurant

Location: the Embarcadero at Brannan Street

Hours: open at 10:00am for "Brunch" on Sunday only

Meal: New Mexican Omelette ~ pepper Jack cheese, green onions & tomatoes, topped with sour cream, salsa & guacamole, served with home fried potatoes & toast, additionally, all "Brunch" meals come with homemade (restaurant-made, whatever) bagel chips; and a glassa fresh-squeezed orange juice






(Happy 72nd Birthday to ol' Noel Yang!)[1]


I had joked the last time that I ate at Delancey Street Restaurant (see last 'blog-entry from Sunday, February 9th, 2014) that I would probably get back there in another three years. Well...

The previous time that I ate there was the day after I had eaten at Town's End Restaurant Bakery 
(which is located just a block away) and it jogged my memory to try them again. Now it seems that turn-abouts-fairplay and I probably need a return visit to Town's End soon, too.

Once again this morning, I parked a block away over on Delancey Street (which is actually the last two blocks of where First Street would finish at the Embarcadero, but has been renamed such for several years now) where there was plenty of free and legal parking at that time of the morning on a Sunday. 

Even though they are located "all the way across town"... and they don't open until 10:00am... and they call this meal "Brunch", I still want to get back there again to try some of these other ideas:

Garden Scramble ~ onions, mushrooms, bell peppers & tomatoes, served with 7-grain toast and home fried potatoes (this was going to be my original choice ~ see following explanatory information below);

"Veggie" Benedict ~ English muffin, wilted spinach (okay, I understand that they are a nonprofit organization and all, but they really should use fresh spinach), roasted tomato & avocado, with home fried potatoes (despite the odiously monikered dish, this still sounds good);

3 Eggwhite Spinach & Mushroom Omelette ~ fat-free garlic & chive schmear[2], served with bagel thins & apple butter (sorry, I would probably have to order a side of their home fried potatoes or Potato Latkes, Mr. Gravas, to go along with this way too healthy-sounding meal);

Kale & Brussel[ sic; and this place isn't even owned by Koreans[3]] Sprouts Salad ~ diced brussel[ sic, again] sprouts, avocado, pomegranate seeds, shallots & shaved Pecorino (I would probably have them add a couple of poached eggs on top);

or

Cheese Blintzes & Homemade Tri-Berry Jam ~ with sour cream.

Beforehand (because I had arrived thirty to forty-five minutes before they opened and was going to walk around the neighborhood a bit), I decided to get a cuppa Coffee at the nearby Crossroads Café. I only later discovered when I got back home and looked it up on line that this nearby coffeehouse is also operated and run by worker-trainees from Delancey Street Foundation ~ so, there ya go! This is a pretty cool place; it is a bookstore, mini-arthouse, and café all rolled into one! I don't normally comment on the prices of items (let's face it, you are lucky to get some coin-change from a tenner when you order a cuppa and a pastry these days), but I really have to point out that a cuppa Coffee here was only one buck! And refillas are only two bits! H*ck, even Mackey-D's Rainbow Room charges more than that now-a-days! With prices that cheap, I prolly-shoulda figured that they were a charitable/nonprofit type place. This was a pretty decent cuppa, too. I didn't get the brand-name of Coffee that they served there, but I think I saw them serving Superior Coffee at the main restaurant.

http://www.delanceystreetfoundation.org/entercafe.php




I like that each meal comes with a little bowl of fresh-made bagel chips and butter as a breakfastary starter. I am not sure if they make all of their own bagels, but you can tell that these bagel chips were fresh-made there. There were at least four different types of bagel chips, too: plain, pumpernickel, poppyseed, and a cinnamon-raisin(? it may have been cinnamon-apricot even).

Here is where it would pay for me to look up past visits to make sure that I try something different... however, I actually did check earlier this morning and completely forgot that I had already ordered this same dish on my previous visit there (it was three years ago, after all). I was all set on getting the Garden Scramble, but overheard a women at the next table order the New Mexican Omelette. I then quickly re-looked over my own menu and thought that it did sound pretty good and changed my mind just as my friendly waiter/server-guy person (who, by the way, was more than proficient and should be working at another restaurant soon, I am sure) came by to take my order...

Even so, this really was a perfectly tasty choice for a Sunday "Brunch". It is not as if I go there every one to two years and order the same meal...

Delancey Street Restaurant only offers Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce ~ Original Red Sauce for use as condimentary supplementation. I used some of my own Palo Alto Firefighters XXX Ghost Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Brian!) liberally (a bit too much) all over their good homefries.

Looks like I am now due for a return visit sometime before New Year's Eve 2020...


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
New Mexican Omelette ~ 6.7;
a decent $1.00 cuppa at Crossroads Café ~ 6.4

___________________

1. The first EweToobular song is just a lotta fun with dueling Noels singing and harping together.

The second is one of my Top Five Favourite Noel Yang Songs, which makes it one of my All-Time Favourite Rock-and/or-Roll Songs of All-time. Plus, there is the extra-added bonus of the back-up singers (who can be heard prominently near the end of the song) ~ two unknowns named Linda Ronstadt and James Taylor... I wonder whatever became of them? I suppose they couldn't cut it in Show Biz and are now selling insurance somewhere.

And the last cover song happens to be my All-Time Favourite Noel Yang Song of All-time (and possibly #3 on my All-Time Favourite Rock-and/or-Roll Songs of All-time). I like that this album happened to be recorded live on my birthday, too.

2. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day:

There really is no kerrekt spelink for this word in English as it is of foreign origin. It can be spelled as either "schmear", "schmeer", "shmear", "shmeer", or "whathaveyeer". However, whenever it comes to any kinda words of Yinglish-origin, I will defer to my only lexicon of the Yiddish language ~ The Joys of Yiddish by Leo Rosten. In it, Mr. Rosten dictates:

shmeer

Pronounced as it is written; rhymes with "shear". From German: Schmiere: "grease", or "bribe".

1. To paint.
2. To smear.
3. To spread. "Shmeer it on the bread."
4. A spread or paste. "With drinks, a caviar shmeer on crackers goes well." "Smoked fish, cream cheese, sour cream, and chives make a wonderful cocktail shmeer."
5. To bribe; a bribe. This is the most interesting usage, and has long been part of American slang. It is related to "greasing the palm". "Do the officials expect to be shmeered there?" "Do they take a shmeer?" There is a saying: "Az men shmeert nit, fort men nit." ("If you don't bribe, you don't ride" - or, less literally, "Without bribery, you'll get nowhere.")
6. To strike or beat. "He landed a shmeer between the eyes."

3. You would have to look back through a couple of my most recent visits last month to Blackwood ~ American Thai Fusion and Surisan to get that remark.


No comments:

Post a Comment