Saturday, November 11, 2017

eight am


I was almost in the Military once... 
I served nine years in the USAF.[1]



(No official-type web-site.)


Place: eight am

Location: 1323 Columbus Avenue 
(between Beach and North Point Streets); 
phonicular contact: (415) 292-4888

Hours: (ironically enough, they actually) open at 7:00am seven days a week

Meal: Avocado Toast[2] Three Ways & Fresh Fruit Salad ~ you'll get all three toasts described below and a side of fresh fruit[3]:
Avocado Toast with Fried Egg ~ toasted multigrain bread spread with mashed avocado topped with one sunny-side up egg;
Avocado Toast with Heirloom Tomato ~ toasted sweet baguette spread with mashed avocado and heirloom tomato slices; and
Avocado Toast with Bacon ~ toasted sourdough spread with mashed avocado and bacon (I had them substitute a second Avocado Toast with Fried Egg instead);
and to drink, a cuppa (and two refillas) Royal Cup Coffee and Tea Rain Forest Bold Coffee

https://store.royalcupcoffee.com/home




(There is no particular juxtaselection for this EweToobular song this morning. I just have it under good authority that both Keith and Greg were big fans of the fruity avocado, but I heard that that d*mn Carl was an obstinate berry-hater! 

[And I bet that it will take longer to listen to this entire song than it will take to read this morning's silly li'l 'blog-entry.])


If I hadn't already had "discovered" Surisan (which is just around the corner a block away) earlier this year, I would easily (ex- and/or pro-)claim eight am (see last 'blog-entry from Sunday, April 16th, 2017) as both Best "New" Breakfast Find of 2017 and Best Breakfast on Fisherman's Wharf. As it is, they are definitely My Second-Favourite New Restaurant on Fisherman's Wharf

Because it was not raining and Monsieur Soleil was (sorta) out this morning, I decided to sit outside at one of the four sidewalk tables for two. It was a bit cool still, but I had on both a jacket and sweatshirt underneath which made it sufficiently comfortable for me.

As for other possible ideas (and more reasons for return visits in the future; even if this means having to deal with driving "all the way over" to Fisherman's Wharf and having to deal with all the d*mn touristas, too):

Haight Ashbury (Frittata) ~ mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, bell peppers, and Swiss cheese;

Nob Hill (Frittata) ~ mushrooms, spinach, shallots, and Swiss cheese;

or

Noe Valley (Frittata) ~ Black Forest ham, zucchini, and Gruyère (I would have, of course, sechsundachtzig-ed the Schwarzwälder Schinken, Adolf); 

and several different crêpes (both sweet and savoury) from which to choose, too:

7AM ~ tomatoes, yellow and red bell peppers, mushrooms, onions, and Swiss cheese; 

8AM ~ berry compote made with fresh seasonal berries (hopefully not including any avocado or tomatoes) and Chantilly cream; 

or 

11AM ~ peanut butter and sliced bananas drizzled with maple syrup.




♪ "Come and knock on our avocado..." ♫

Ha! These came out presented with two perfectly executed Mooby's-style sunnyside-up eggs! 

This was a virtual toasty Mélange-à-Trois (well, 
Mélange-à-Deux for me). What is there really to be said about Avocado Toast? It is basically mashed fresh avocado (and I know it was fresh as there was even one small piece of the skin/shell that I discovered before eating it... luckily) on toast. Simples! I did like that they offered three different (well, in my case, two different) versions and with three different types of bread/toast. Additionally, the heirloom tomatoes would be a welcomed sight and taste by everyone (well, by everyone not named "Greg Kipe", that is).

Even though it was just another "fruit salad"-thing, this contained a very impressive display o' fruits: banana 
(a botanical berry), kiwi (also a botanical berry), strawberries (not quite botanical berries), blueberries (quite the botanical berries), blackberries (nope, sorry, not botanical berries), raspberries (also, nope, not botanical berries), pineapple (I am not quite sure if the fruit of the pineapple trees are also botanical berries, but they are probably just as much a berry as strawberries or raspberries), cantaloupe (I really can't determine one way or the other on the berry-status of this one), and honeydew melon (see cantaloupe ~ ditto).

For condimentary supplements, eight am offers just Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (Original Red Sauce) and Cholula® Hot Sauce (Original). Knowing this, and because I was figuring on ordering Avocado Toast Three Ways , I made sure to bring a troika of my own hot sauces to use upon each slice. I used some Dat'l Do-it® Scorching Habanero Hot Sauce (Thanks, Mom!) on top of one egg, some Great Wall Wasabi Hot Sauce (Thanks again, Mom!) on top of the other egg, and some Sunbelt Plantations Vidalia® Onion Jalapeno[ sic ] Pepper Hot Sauce (Thanks, Cindy & Greg!) on top of the heirloom tomatoes (I determined [correctly, I might add; even one of the waiter/server-guy persons agreed with me when he saw that I had three of my own bottles with me] that the jalapeño flavour would pair up nicely with the heirloom tomatoes [and just who the h*ck bequeaths their garden fruits and vegetables to their offspring?!]).

I am sure that Jack and Chrissy (and that other one) would whole-heartedly approve of this meal. However, Mr. Roper would probably frown-upon this frivolous use of perfectly good berries (he always disliked those "fruity"-types, after all). (No one really cared what Mr. Furley ever had to say, anyway.)


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Avocado Toast Three Ways & Fresh Fruit Salad ~ 6.6 (as simplistic as the meal was, I am still giving it a pretty good rating, mainly for the trinity [the Father, the Son, and the Holy Toast?] uniqueness and especially for their excellent fruit selection);
Royal Cup Coffee and Tea Rain Forest Bold Coffee ~ 6.6

___________________

1. Trust me. This joke kills at any VFW or American Legion hall among members of all the other Branches of Military.

A Happy Veterans Day to all of you that are Veterans!

(A Happy Saturday to everyone else!)

2. "Avocado Toast" is the new "black" in the Breakfastary World it seems. It can now be found ubiquitously everywhere as often as you might see the word "ubiquitous". Because of which, I have decided to add a separate "Label" (see right-side column) for it now. 

I have only had it a few times (at least two times that I could find in past 'blog-entries) in the past few years; so it took me a while to locate even those two times.

3. They didn't specify whether or not the fruits were into Ménage-à-Trois-ery. However, both avocados and tomatoes are technically fruits (and botanically berries).

No comments:

Post a Comment