Saturday, December 2, 2017

Dottie's True blue café





(Yes, this is a "stock photo" of Dottie's True Blue café, and actually the exact same photo that I used last month. I have taken so many photos of the façade now, that, at this point, duplicates were going to be made. Like any of you would have noticed the repetition, anyway.)

http://dottiestruebluesf.com/


Place: Dottie's True Blue café

Location:  28 6th Street 
(on the corner of Stevenson Street)

Hours: open 7:30am Thursday through Monday 

Meal: Omelette of My Choosing ~ three egg omelette with spinach, tomatoes, and Feta, served with homefries and toast (buttermilk-dill); and a glassa (with two refillas [which, technically, were only two half-cuppa warm-uppas]) of their house Coffee (I always forget to ask which brand they serve; however, 
it does not really matter, it was good, hot, and black)




(I knew that I would be going back to Dottie's True Blue café for breakfast this morning, so for today's EweToobular music interlude, I put it to a vote on the funny pages of defacedbook as to which version of "St. James Infirmary Blues" I should use. Some of my "Friends" there have the keenest music and cultural minds, and I knew that I could count on them for great input. With a resounding and unanimous decision [well, from the three responses that I received before heading out to breakfast: two for Dave Van Ronk[1] and one for Sir George Ivan ~ when it comes to Sir George Ivan, one vote counts as three, and all ties go to Sir George Ivan], these were what I came up with. I think both of these versions exemplify the pureness of this American Jazz classic.)


In a conclusionary effort to eat at Dottie's True Blue café (see last 'blog-entry from Sunday, November 5th, 2017) at least once a month for 2017, I went back there again this morning. Simples!

As I was once again the first idiot waiting in line this morning (I actually tried timing it so that I would get there when there was already a line and not look foolish waiting on the sidewalk all by my self in front of closed/chained doors, but I still ended up arriving around 7:10am and being "Idiot #1"). It was all good, I got my choice of seating when they opened the doors, and once again I went with "Seat #1" at the corner of the overlooking-the-kitchen counter.

One of the more "interesting" experiences while waiting for the doors to open in this (rather sketchy) neighborhood is interacting with the local populace. Today's "entertainment" came in the form of a guy who called himself "Uncle Ron" (and made no attempts at hiding ~ well, he rather boasted ~ that he was drunk as a skunk since yesterday afternoon). He was really pretty harmless and after we fist-bumped (I think he didn't want to get his hands dirty from shaking mine), he went on to exclaim: "I'm a native San Franciscan... I've been here since 1847!" ~ which I thought was a pretty funny line, drunk or sober (him being "drunk" and me being "sober", but I would still have laughed at the line if our sobrietal situation had been reversed). And in the end, at least Uncle Ron didn't hit me with his sunglasses...

This was a very surprising event. After I had finished eating and was leaving, there was no line-out-the-door or line-around-the-corner for a change. I can't remember when the last time I saw that occurence might have been.

After having eaten at Dottie's True Blue café eleven other times in the year already (and three of those times I had ordered the Zucchini Cakes), there weren't too many "new" options for me to try. One other idea that I was mulling over, Martin, was a Pumpkin Tart Cherry Poptart (this was exactly as they had stylised it ~ Kellogg's® be d*mned!), which I probably would have ordered with two eggs over-medium. This monster-pastry was easily the size of two to three normal pop-tarts® and I knew I couldn't order it as a starter with a full meal, otherwise. Pumpkin and cherry sounded like a bizarre enough combination that I figured I would like it. Hopefully they have a similar pastry on one of my future visits.




What can I say about the omelette? I chose the ingredients and had better have liked it. Besides... Feta.

For condimentary supplementation, I used some of the provided Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce ~ Chipotle Pepper Sauce generously ('cause that is just the kinda guy I am) all over the potatoes.

the Wild Parrots of San Francisco Interlude

While walking back to catch the bus home, I saw and heard about three to five of the feather-brained chatter-birds flying overhead on Geary Street (near Union Square).


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
OoMC ~ 6.5;
the Wild Parrots of San Francisco ~ 8.5;
Sir George Ivan Morrison ~ 8.6 
(Yeah, that is not a typo ~ nor even a Type AB-Negative! This might be the first time I have ever recorded a Glen Bacon Scale Rating over 8.5.)

___________________

1. https://www.bestofneworleans.com/gambit/name-that-tune/Content?oid=1244407

2. http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/12/arts/dave-van-ronk-folk-singer-and-iconoclast-dies-at-65.html?scp=1&sq=dave%20van%20ronk&st=cse

Dave Van Ronk was also author of a posthumous memoir, The Mayor of MacDougal Street (2005) written with Elijah Wald. Anecdotes from the book were used as a source for the 2013 Coen Brothers' film "Inside Llewyn Davis".

No comments:

Post a Comment