Sunday, December 3, 2017

Town's End restaurant & bakery




http://www.townsendrb.com/


Place: Town's End restaurant & bakery

Location:  2 Townsend (I heard they originally wanted to locate on Restaurant & Bakery Street, but the rents were too high) Street
(on the Embarcadero across from Pier 38)

Hours: open Tuesday-Friday at 7:30am for breakfast; open Saturday-Sunday at 8:00am for "Brunch"

Meal: (Almost) Winter Scramble ~ with Pacific Northwest chanterelles, fresh artichoke hearts, roasted garlic, grilled leeks, basil, house made (well, restaurant & bakery-made) Ricotta, served with a choice of potato-carrot pancakes (with apple compote & sour cream), grilled polenta, or fresh fruit; to drink, a glassa orange juice; and, afterward, a small cuppa Eggnog Latte at Crossroads Café 

http://www.delanceystreetfoundation.org/entercafe.php



(Today's EweToobular juxtaselection? Simples! Everyone knows that ol' Petey-boy loves his potato-carrot pancakes [with apple compote and sour cream, of course]. 

[Truth is, I couldn't find any "Wintery"-songs from 
Mr. Townshend and I didn't think that either "Frankenstein" or "Free Ride" sounded very breakfastary.])


Because I had walked past it last month when I went to breakfast at Delancey Street Restaurant, I figured it was time for a return visit back to Town's End restaurant & bakery (see last 'blog-entry from Sunday, August 7th, 2016). I have always liked this place. It is one of those places that if it were closer to me, it would be "Breakfastary Starting Rotation"-worthy. I have probably been going there for twenty to twenty-five years now.

Their "Brunch" menu changes seasonally and always has interesting items from which to choose. A couple of the other ideas that I was looking at this morning:

Mary's Special ~ two Swedish oatmeal pancakes (organic pears & almonds in the pancakes), two eggs scrambled with mushrooms, green onions, garlic, & sharp white Cheddar;

or

Red pepper scrambled eggs ~ with fire roasted red peppers, green onions, & Laura Chenel goat cheese.

One of the really neat things is that all breakfast ("Brunch", whatever) meals come with a small basket of their fresh-baked mini-muffins and mini-scones. My basket this morning had: a mini-raisin scone (well, the scone was "mini", the raisins were normal sized); a mini-Chocolate chip muffin (the Chocolate chips may have been "mini", though); a mini-banana-walnut muffin; and a mini-carrot(?) muffin.




This was basically just a scrambled egg mess, but their combination of fresh ingredients are always so good; the grilled leeks added a really nice flavour. Of course, I can't tell a Pacific Northwest chanterelle from an Atlantic Southeast shiitake, but still...

Plus, I love that they give you a choice of either potato-carrot pancakes or grilled polenta (we won't even bother mentioning the completely pedestrian "fresh fruit"... well, other than I did right there). I went with the potato-carrot pancakes, which come as two; I have had them many times before and always like them.

Town's End restaurant & bakery offers for condimentary supplements both Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (Original Red Sauce) and Cholula® Hot Sauce Original. I used some of my own Golden Pagoda Jalapeño Hot Sauce (Thanks, Mom!) on the eggs/scramble-mess and some Laura Plantation Vidalia® Onion & Peach Hot Sauce (Thanks, Greg & Cindy!) on one of the potato-carrot pancakes (along with a little bit of their homemade [restaurant & bakery-made, whatever] apple-butter), and before you say "Ewww!", it actually was pretty good like that.




I had purposely skipped ordering any Coffee with my breakfast as I had it all schemed out to head back to Crossroads Café, which is just across the street/cul-de-sac. Because this coffeehouse is run by the Delancey Street Foundation, the prices are always much lower than your typical chain Coffee shop (you know who I mean). My Latte today was probably a buck or two cheaper than you would normally pay. Even if the prices were normal, I would still rather support this good cause. Plus, there is a gift shop/bookstore that you can loiter in... er... browse in while enjoying your Coffee beverages.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
(Almost) Winter Scramble ~ 6.8;
mini-muffins/scones ~ 7.0;
Eggnog Latte ~ 6.6

No comments:

Post a Comment