Sunday, August 7, 2016

Town's End restaurant & bakery




http://www.townsendrb.com/


Place: Town's End restaurant & bakery
Location: 2 Townsend (Now what are the odds of that?!) Street (at the Embarcadero)
Hours: open Monday-Friday at 7:30am for breakfast; open Saturday-Sunday at 8:00am for "Brunch" (they can be forgiven for that snooty-assed moniker because they open up plenty early enough for this meal to still be considered breakfast by the best of us... meaning me, of course)
Meal: 3 Chile Scramble ~  roasted red peppers, yellow Gypsy[1] & chipotle chiles & grilled red onions, scrambled with 3 eggs, queso fresco, handmade corn tortilla, red & green salsas & guacamole; and a glassa freshly squeezed orange juice





(You may ask yourself: "Just what the h-e-double-hockeysticks are today's EweToobular juxtaselections supposed to mean, Brian?" 

Simples. Who doesn't know that ol' Petey-boy[2] grew up in Post-WWII Chiswick, London above a bakery?

The second song has nothing what-so-ever to do with either bakeries, or London, or even the English Beat. Any day is a good day for Lucinda Williams. That's all.)


It's been over two years since I last visited Town's End restaurant & bakery (see last 'blog-entry from February 8th, 2014) and I knew that this weekend would be the perfect chance to do so because the San Francisco Giants are on-the-road-again and I would have no problem finding a nearby parking space (and I did so this morning basically in front of the joint, so that worked well for me). I have never had a bad meal at this place, and I have been going there now for probably twenty-five years or more (mostly for breakfasts, but there have been a few lunches thrown in before heading across the street to an afternoon Giants game). 

Their "Brunch" menu changes seasonally, but there always are a few other good ideas from which to choose (for both those that partake of dead, decaying vegetation or you meatetarians out there). The other meals that caught my eye (just the left one, there was some dirt in my right eye) this morning: Toybox[3] Scramble (organic toybox tomatoes, white Chanterelles, grilled leeks, basil, Italian sheep's milk Mozzarella); Mary's Special (two Swedish oatmeal pancakes [organic peaches & almonds in the pancakes], two eggs scrambled with mushrooms, green onions, garlic & Cheddar); or Spinach, Tomato & Mushroom Omelette (they don't state what exactly might be inside this omelette, though; served with a choice of potato-carrot pancakes [with apple compote & sour cream], grilled polenta, or fresh fruit; I know from past experiences that both the potato-carrot pancakes and grilled polenta are decent breakfastary side-choices; even I can prepare "fresh fruit" at home... or at least buy it at the grocery store already prepared and ready to go).




"Each meal begins with our housemade baked goods — mini muffins and scones at breakfast and brunch..."

Today's miniature bakery goods offerings were two banana-walnut mini-muffins, two blueberry mini-muffin, and one mini-raisin scone (that would be a small scone, the raisins in it were of the standard size).

The scrambled mess was kinda like an upscaley version of Huevos Rancheros. Everything was piled on top of one of their very good homemade (bakery-made, whatever) corn tortillas. Like yesterday's breakfast entry, this was also a bit on the smallish side, but, again, thankfully, it was muy grande en sabor. I liked the green salsa the best of the two salsas; it was a tomatillo-based salsa, and the red salsa was a fresh (very chunky) pico de gallo. I would liked to have had a few more of the homemade (bakery-made, whatever) corn tortillas on the side; I bet these would have gone very nicely with butter and the homemade (restaurant-made, whatever) jam that they have on every table. As it was, there was just enough food for my appetite once again, but that was only due to the complimentary (complementary) mini-baked goods.

Because they only offer Mr. Espresso® as their house Coffee, I waited until I got home to brew me up (well, actually, drip me down) some of my own De La Paz Graceland. Now, don't get me wrong, I like Mr. Espresso® as much as the next guy (especially if the next guy's last name happens to be "Espresso"), but I just had that brand yesterday at breakfast and knew that De La Paz Graceland is much better ~ even with my usual crummy attempts at making Coffee at home.

http://fourbarrelcoffee.com/shop/de-la-paz-graceland-2/

For condimentary supplements, Town's End has both Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (Original Red Sauce) and Cholula® Hot Sauce (Original). I really did not find it necessary to espicy-up my meal with any bottled hot sauces (I had brought three or four of my own with me, too, just in case).


Glen Bacon Scale Rating
3 Chile Scramble ~ 6.6;
mini-muffins & mini-scone ~ 6.7;
De La Paz Graceland ~ 7.3

___________________

1. I had to look up just what this chilli varietal was:

http://www.pepperscale.com/gypsy-pepper/

2. And can anyone tell me just why the h-e-double-hockeysticks Mr. Peter Dennis Blandford Townshend has never received a Knighthoodsmanship like many other faithful British Rock-and/or-Roll subjects already have? (Exempla gratiā, Sir George Ivan Morrison, OBE; Sir James Paul McCartney, MBE; Sir Michael Philip Jagger, KBE; or Dame Elton Hercules John, CBE.)

3. This is just another new, completely madeuppery word to explain a new tomato varietal:

http://www.greenleafsf.com/product/produce/tomatoes/toybox-cherry-tomatoes-3

No comments:

Post a Comment