Sunday, July 8, 2018

Outerlands


Sure, and I still have never learned how to drive a stick...



http://outerlandssf.com/


Place: Outerlands

Location:  4001 Judah Street
(on the corner of 45th Avenue)

Hours: open Monday - Friday 9:00am for breakfast, Saturday & Sunday 9:00am for "Brunch"

Meal: (the simply-enough named) quiche ~ celery root, niçois olive, ricotta salata (they like to print everything in the minuscule on their menu); a side of (again simply-enough named) potatoes ~ filipino adobo[1], aioli, scallion; and to drink with the meal, lemon ginger apple cider


Outerlands (see last 'blog entry from Sunday, March 10th, 2013) is not really that far from where I live, so I have no idea why it has been over five years since my last visit. It may have been that they did not use to open until 10:0am on the weekends (for "Brunch"). However, it was an easy and quick drive over there this morning.

Even with the new (well, it is "new" in the five years since I last ate there) expansion into the space next door (which used to be a little Chinese restaurant), they really did not add too many extra seats because they also extended their kitchen area into the middle of the restaurant ~ and, sadly, there is no more Winnie-the-Pooh hole (which was their office space, I believe) above the kitchen area.




I sat outside this morning ('cause I was the first idiot to arrive early enough this morning and was the first to put my name on the waiting list, and 'cause I could) in one of the tables along 45th Avenue (in front of the stupid, extra-long parklet [uggh!] there). There are three tables for two and two tables for four on the sidewalk. I had the space to myself for almost the entire time that I was eating breakfast ("Brunch", whatever).

There really are not an awful lot of items from which to choose on their "Brunch" menu (be you a dead, decaying animal flesh-eater or a stupid vegetarian). A few of the other possible ideas I saw for breakfast this morning were:

(another simply-enough named) chili ~ summer squash, pinto bean, tomato, scallion, goat yogurt, cornbread (if I had ordered this dish, I would probably have also ordered a sourdough peach fritter as a starter);

eggs-in-jail ~ bacon (which I would have had excised), aioli, spinach, garlic sunflower kernels;

or 

dutch pancake baked in a cast iron pan ~ sweet with strawberry and walnuts or savory with bacon, pickled onion, and parsley (house made ricotta can be added to either; this would have been a repeat of my first meal there).




This was a HUGE slice of quiche. It was extra fluffy and eggy; it had almost a soufflé quality to it. It came with a large side of some silly rabbit-greens (which mostly went uneaten to make sure that I had enough room for all the other good stuff).

I was told that the side of potatoes usually can be split between two people, but it did not prove to be that big of a side-dish and I was able to finish it all myself. As best as I can figure, the preparation for these potatoes was probably deep-fried and then roasted off. These were whole small(-ish) potatoes that had been smooshed (for lack of a better culinaristic term, Emeril) a bit and allowed for some of the deep-frying to penetrate into the potatoes for maximum crispiocity (which I have been assured by Bobby Flay is an actual culinary term). These were some truly excellent homefries.

The lemon ginger apple cider was also very good and really went well with the meal. It can be served either hot or iced; I went with it iced, which turned out to be the smart choice because mean Mr. Sun was beating down on me. It can also be ordered with a shot of Bourbon, Whiskey, or Gin in it; I just kept it virginal 'cause I still had to drive back home. Even so, it still looked like some kinda faux Bourbon breakfastary cocktail. 

I am not sure what Outerlands may or may not have had to offer in the way of any condimentary supplements; I did not ask nor need any. I used some more of my Hot Licks® Serrano Hot Sauce (Thanks, Brian!) on the potatoes and some Sunbelt Plantations Vidalia® Onion & Jalapeno Pepper Hot Sauce (Thanks, Greg & Cindy!) on the quiche.

(another not really so) Strange Coffee Interlude

Knowing that Outerlands did not open until 9:00am (which is an improvement over their old opening time of 10:00am) for "Brunch", I arrived in the neighborhood about forty-five minutes early with the specific intent of walking the four blocks over to Andytown Coffee Roasters on the corner of Lawton Street and 43rd Avenue for a decent cuppa. This location offers Wind & Sea blend as their only drip-style Coffee, and does not do any specific roasts/blends as pour-overs like they do at their other two locations in the Sunset. This was fine by me, as Wind & Sea is still a mighty fine cuppa (but it is just not their single origin Ethiopia Natural Banko Fuafuate, which was one of my favourite Coffees ~ not named Bettys Jamaica Blue Mountain ~ from 2017).

http://www.andytownsf.com/purchase/wind-and-sea-blend


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Andytown Coffee Roasters Wind & Sea ~  7.2;
quiche ~ 6.6;
potatoes ~ 7.2

___________________

1. I was going to do a whole "stupid, useless cunning linguist/pseudo-culinaristic pointer of the day", but found this explanation already intact from our friendly friends at WikipediA:

Philippine adobo (from Spanish adobar: "marinade," "sauce" or "seasoning") is a popular dish and cooking process in Philippine cuisine that involves meat, seafood, or vegetables marinated in vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, and black peppercorns, which is browned in oil, and simmered in the marinade. It has sometimes been considered as the unofficial national dish in the Philippines.

No comments:

Post a Comment