Sunday, December 9, 2018

Town's End restaurant & bakery




http://www.townsendrb.com/


Place: Town's End restaurant & bakery

Location: 2 Townsend Street
(on the Embarcadero across from Pier 38)

Hours: open Tuesday-Friday at 7:30am for breakfast; open Saturday-Sunday at 8:00am for "Brunch"

Meal: Roasted Brussels Sprouts Hash ~ with butternut squash, coarsely diced potatoes, red onion, red peppers, two poached eggs, mustard sauce; to drink with the meal, a glassa Blood Orange Mimosa ~ organic blood orange juice & Brut Cava sparkling wine; and, afterward, at Crossroads Café a Single Pumpkin Spice Latte

http://www.delanceystreetfoundation.org/entercafe.php



(What is the EweToobular juxtaselection here today? Well, like any good Britishlander lad, Peter Dennis Blandford Townshend always eats his Brussels sprouts this time of the year, too.)


Driving "all the way cross-town" over to Town's End restaurant & bakery (see last 'blog-entry from Sunday, December 3rd, 2017) always takes a bit of time, so I will generally only head over there on Sunday mornings (plus, there will usually be plenty of free, legal parking then, too). Because I had arrived there about ten minutes before the restaurant was due to open, 
I went for a brisk little stroll along the Embarcadero. (Of course, I was also able to find a great parking space right across the street from the restaurant at that early hour.) AT&T Park, Home of your San Francisco Giants, is only two blocks down the road. 




As soon as I saw this weekend's (seasonal) "Brunch" menu, I immediately knew which meal I was going to order. Otherwise, there were still a few other good ideas: 

Mary's Special ~ two Swedish oatmeal pancakes (organic pears & almonds in the pancakes), two eggs scrambled with mushrooms, green onions, garlic & sharp White Cheddar;

Almond Cornmeal French Toast ~ ricotta-blueberry cornbread, orange cinnamon batter, served with lemon cream (it's gluten free! [they added that explanation point!]);

Red pepper scrambled eggs ~ with fire roasted red peppers, green onions & Laura Chenel goat cheese; eggs & omelettes are served with a choice of potato-carrot pancakes (with apple compote & sour cream), grilled polenta, or fresh fruit;

or

3 Chile Scramble ~ Anaheim chiles, roasted red peppers & chipotles, grilled red onions, scrambled with 3 eggs, queso fresco, handmade corn tortilla, red & green salsas & guacamole (I had ordered this dish just two visits ago, but it is always a good back-up if needed).




Today's complimentary fresh-baked mini-muffins/mini-scone were a blueberry, a banana-walnut (How come no one ever makes plantain-pecan muffins?), and a raisin scone. They were gone long before the meal was brought out.

Of course, I loved this dish. (It's a Brussels sprouts-thing with me.) There were definitely a lot of Brussels sprouts (and I was very happy to see it correctly spelled as "Brussels" for a change, Monsieur/Meneer Jean-Claude Camille François Van Varenberg) in this and they were all charred/roasted very nicely. The waiter-server person explained to me that the mustard sauce (which was a sort of mustard aioli) was made with maple syrup in it to give it a sweet (but oddly tasty) flavour. It was served in a small ramekin on the side so that you could use as little or as much as you liked. This was a good idea. I liked using the entire ramekin myself, anyway. (This got me to wondering if a Coffee-maple syrup-mustard aioli might be an interesting combination... not that I am ever gonna make it for myself, though.)

I really did not bother to ask what Town's End restaurant & bakery might have to offer in the way of hot sauces for condimentary supplementation. I used some of my own Old St. Augustine Snake Bite Datil Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Cindy & Greg!) on top of one of the poached eggs and H*lls Kithchen Ghost Pepper Hot Sauce (Thanks, Mom!) on top of the other poached egg. When mixed with the soft egg yolks and their mustard sauce, this all made for a flavourful addition.

(Another not so) Strange Coffee Interlude

Like I had done after my last visit there, I walked across the street to Crossroads Café for an after-breakfast dessert Coffee. (I had planned on doing this all along and did not order another cuppa with my meal for that reason.) This morning I ordered a personal seasonal favourite, Pumpkin Spice Latte. Both Crossroads Café and Town's End restaurant & bakery serve the (Oakland) local Mr. Espresso®, anyway.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Roasted Brussels Sprouts Hash ~ 7.1;
freebie mini-muffins/mini-scone ~ 6.9;
Pumpkin Spice Latte ~ 6.6

No comments:

Post a Comment