Sunday, December 2, 2018

Zazie


Ceci n'est pas Œufs Bénédicte...



(Monsieur Soleil was out bright and early this morning and really washed-out this photo. Yeah, well... that is mon histoire and I am sticking with it.)

http://www.pomelosf.com/


Place: Zazie

Location: 941 Cole Street 
(between Carl Street and Parnassus Avenue)

Hours: "le Brunch" is served Monday-Friday 8-2 and Saturday/Sunday/Holidays 9-3

Meal: Eggs en Fonte[1] ~ grilled polenta cake w/ spinach, wild mushrooms, spicy tomato-chevre sauce, and two over easy eggs baked in a cast iron skillet w/ home fries or salad (of course, I opted for the potatoes; what am I some kinda silly rabbit?!); and to drink, a cuppa (and two full refillas) Zazie Blend (which is made exclusively for them by the local folks at LaCoppa Coffee across the bay in Mill Valley)

https://www.lacoppacoffee.com/



(There is no EweToobular juxtaselection here... unless, perhaps, Mademoiselle Isabelle Marie Anne de Truchis de Varennes also likes polenta-based breakfast dishes.)


Je suis retourné à Zazie (see last 'blog-entry from Dimanche 2 décembre, 2017). I was about the sixth person/group waiting in line to get in this morning. The joint filled up very quickly after they opened and all the tables inside and in the backyard patio were eaten-up (so to speak) very quickly. However, because it was not raining (still/again), I sat outside in the front sidewalk café area where there are only four tables for two. As I was the first-come-first-seated idiot to opt to sit outdoors, I had my choice of tables, anyway. They had turned on the overhead gas-heaters and I had to take off my jacket as it was that comfortable already, especially with Monsieur Soleil at my back.

These tables out front are usually occupied by les chiens out for un petit déjeuner with their human-pets. The table next to me had one very friendly (but well-behaved) pupster named Hunter. 

They offer many interesting-sounding dishes on their "le Brunch" menu. Here were quelques autres idées:

(off their "le Brunch Specials" menu)

Miracle Pancakes[2] (1,2, or 3 pieces) ~ cinnamon bun pancakes w/ cream cheese glaze (as tempting as these sounded, I had another "miraculous" weekend pancakes special on my last visit and wanted to try something savoury today);

or

Omelette du Jour ~ crispy bacon, artichoke hearts, tomatoes provençale, spinach and Feta cheese w/ home fries or salad (of course, I would have ordered this sans le bout de porc mort en décomposition);

and

(off their standard "le Brunch" menu)

Fontainbleu ~  (a scrambled eggs dish) w/ wild mushrooms, spinach, Fontina;

Avignon ~ (another scrambled eggs dish) w/ eggplant, tomatoes, zucchini, provençale herbs;

Italie ~ (also another scrambled eggs dish) w/ tomatoes provençales, cream cheese, fresh basil;

or

Greece ~ (yet still another scrambled eggs dish) w/ red onions, spinach, Feta.

Dishes like these (and several other good choices from which to choose) are why this is another place that really deserves a return visit more than once a year (or lune bleue).




I knew right away that I was going to enjoy this dish with polenta as its base. While this was not really any kinda Eggs Benedict dish, it did have two eggs (not poached, though) laid atop a thick slice/chunk of grilled polenta. This dish would definitely not be for the fungi-faint of heart; as best as I could tell, it had three different types of "wild" mushrooms ("If you can not control your mushrooms, Monsieur, you will have to take them outside, s'il vous plaît...") in it (possibly: Shiitake, Portobello, and Hen-of-the-Woods, but it coulda been any other fungi). When I first read the name of the dish, I was trying to figure out why they were calling the dish "Infant Eggs" in French. Aren't all eggs infant chickens?

They also have very good homefries. Mine today came with two whole roasted cloves of garlic in with them.

I have no idea what Zazie might have had to offer for condimentary supplementation, I did not ask or check. I just used some of my own Chili in Hawaii Habanero Garlic Hot Sauce (Thanks, Cindy & Greg!) on top of one egg and Dat'l Do It® Classic Cayenne Hot Sauce (Thanks, Mom!) on les pommes de terre.

Now, if I had only eaten at Art's Cafe in January (I did eat there in July), I coulda said that I had eaten "breakfast from A(rt's Cafe) to Z(azie) in 2018" more precisely...


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Enfant Œufs ~ 7.1;
Zazie Blend ~ 7.1

___________________

1. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer du jour:

As best as I can tell, "en fonte" simply means "cast" (referring to the cast iron skillet) in Frenchy-speak.

2. Pourquoi pas "Miracle Atterrissage à Plat"?!

No comments:

Post a Comment