Sunday, November 25, 2018

pomelo ~ Refreshingly Global


You say "pomelo"... I say "shaddock"...



http://www.pomelosf.com/


place: pomelo

location: 1793 church street 
(near the corner of 30th street)

hours: "brunch" is served saturday and sunday at 10:00am

meal: bern (switzerland) ~ swiss rösti – crispy grated potato with bacon (which i made sure to have 
sechsundachtzig/quatre-vingt six-ed), onion and gruyère cheese, topped with one egg sunny side up, butter lettuce and cherry tomato salad; a freebie pear, caramelized ginger, and almonds muffinette; and a glassa fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice (because they do not offer any pomelo juice)

(In case you were wondering why I went all minuscule in the above, pomelo likes to stylize their menus that way.)


Ich kehrte zurück/je suis retourné to pomelo (see last 'blog-entry from Samstag, 6. August, 2016/Samedi 6 août, 2016). I can not believe that it has been over two years since my last visit. Well, actually, I can, because they are about as far away from where I live in San Francisco that you can get and still be in the city (and they do not open for "Brunch" until 10:00am).

I do really like their globally refreshing menu selections, though. There are many great ideas for both dumme Vegetarier/végétariens stupides and verd*mmte Fleischfresser/carnivores m*udits alike. There are still several other items that I have not tried yet:

lop buri (thailand) ~ ไขย่ ดไส kai yat sai - thai style stuffed omelet with minced pork (which would also be แปดสิบหก-ed), tomato, onion, garlic, cilantro, thai basil, thai chilies, served with lime-garlic-chili sauce;

masantol (philippines) ~ filipino style spicy sizzling tofu with chili peppers, garlic, onion, soy sauce and lemon (I have no idea what this is, but it sounds pretty interesting to me, and, thankfully, it does not include any monkey-brains);

otsu (japan) ~ cold buckwheat noodle salad with cucumber, scallion, cilantro & a spicy soy, ginger & sesame dressing, topped with pan sautéed tofu;

or 

pomelo (they do not designate a specific country of origin for this one) ~ romaine (of course, this would not be the week/month to order this), baby arugula, roasted grape, walnut, gorgonzola, white balsamic mustard vinaigrette.

Additionally, they have a weekend special scramble or omelette called noe valley (san francisco) where the ingredients change seasonally. This weekend (month) the ingredients were 3 organic free-range eggs, bacon (nah!), baby spinach, garlic, onion and gorgonzola, served with toasted country (they did not list which country, though) bread and choice of house potatoes or organic greens (bka: rabbit-food).




See?! Stuff like this is exactly why I like to get back and eat at this joint. I have had Swiss röstis several (okay, many) times before at Bettys Café Tea Rooms 
whenever I visited my Yorkshire hosts over past Christmases. This version may not have been quite as crispy as Bettys made, but it was still very tasty and mention-worthy. I especially liked that the (white) onions seemed to have been pre-caramelized before adding them into the shredded potato mix.

I even enjoyed the very simple side of rabbit-food junk; it had a light lemon vinaigrette (I think) on it. Near the end of the meal, I just dumped the remaining butter lettuce and tomatoes on top of the pile o' potatoes.

For condimentary supplementation, pomelo had Tabasaco® Brand Pepper Sauce (three ways: Original Red Sauce, Green Jalapeño Sauce, and Chipotle Pepper Sauce), Cholula® Hot Sauce (Original), and El Yucateco® Hot Sauce Salsa Picante de Chile Habanero (the red kind). Even with all of those hot sauces from which to choose, I still used some of my own H*ll's Kitchen® Chipotle Chocolate Hot Sauce (Thanks, Mom!) on top of the egg and several grinds of grains of paradise all over the rösti and the rabbit-food junk.

(another not so) Strange Coffee Interlude

Because I had a few hours (okay, about four-and-a-half hours worth) to kill this morning before the restaurant would be open, I dripped me downa (pour-over-style) cuppa Bettys - Jamaica Blue Mountain (Thanks, Cindy & Greg!). As I have mentioned several (okay, many-many) times in the past, this roast/blend of Coffee is easily my All-Time Favourite Coffee of All-Time. If Marilyn Monroe ever came back reincarnated as a cuppa, this is what she would taste like! This choice of Coffee in conjunction with the meal that I ordered today was not exactly as coincidentally à propos as it might seem. I kinda figured that I was gonna order the bern this morning, anyway. Just consider this a premeditated breakfastary juxtaselection (which is the real "pbj").

https://www.bettys.co.uk/jamaica-blue-mountain


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
bern ~ 7.2;
Bettys - Jamaica Blue Mountain ~ 8.2

No comments:

Post a Comment