Sunday, April 7, 2019

Jane ~ on Fillmore




https://www.itsjane.com/


Place: Jane ~ on Fillmore

Location: 2123 Fillmore (nacherly) Street 
(between California and Sacramento Streets)

Hours: open daily from 7:00am 

Meal: Spicy Baked Eggs ~ two eggs, spicy tomato and black bean stew, Cheddar, cilantro, olive toast; to start (and finish, actually), a Citrus Brioche[1]; and to drink, a cuppa (whatever) their current House Coffee (might have been)





(There really are no EweToobular juxtaselections here. I just heard that Dewey, Dan, Gerry, and Tim Pretty were all big fans of Shakshouka-type dishes. I think it comes from their Arabic/Mohammadist roots.)


Because I wanted to hit a place that opened up pretty early for breakfast on a placid Sunday morn, I headed back over to Jane ~ on Fillmore (see last 'blog-entry from Saturday, July 22nd, 2017). I especially like that they are open up at 7:00am daily. This is very good for a mostly upscaley-kinda neighborhood; many of the other places along that area of Fillmore will not open until after 9:00am or later.




(There is really no reason for these two photos. I just liked how one side wall of the restaurant had floral wallpaper and the other was basic black-and-white striped.)


I sat upstairs in their lofty space once again. This time I sat at one of the six stools at the front-facing counter overlooking the restaurant (and looking down on Mr. Bison, too).

As this only makes the third time that I have eaten at Jane for breakfast (once at this location and one earlier visit at their Tenderloin location on Larkin Street), there are still many other good ideas from which to try and decide on future visits:

(the now ubiquitous, but possibly soon to be extincted) Avocado Mash ~ avocado (nacherly), cracked black pepper, soft boiled egg, pickled shallot and jalapeño on house sourdough (I wonder if they would substitute that particular toast for their olive bread instead);

Breakfast Frisee Salad ~ frisee, arugula, chive, lardons (which I would, of course, have lard-off), radish, rainbow carrot (noted in the singularity for some reason, but I assume they actually include more than one colour of carrots), soft boiled egg, shallot vinagrette[ sic ], toasted baguette;

Egg Sandwich ~ on your choice of housebaked sourdough, multigrain bread or baguette with homemade (well, Jane-made) tomato chutney and Cheddar cheese;

Egg White Sandwich ('cause egg-whites matter, too) ~ egg whites, spinach and avocado with Provolone and a dash of sriracha served on your choice of housebaked sourdough, multigrain bread or baguette;

Raw Sprouted Black Rice Porridge ~ almond and coconut milk, chia seeds, coconut crunch, goji berries, fresh kiwi (served warm upon request);

Jane's Dragonfruit Smoothie Bowl ~ dragonfruit, pineapple, banana, ginger, coconut water, blueberries, raspberries, hemp seeds, flax seeds, cocoa nibs, goji, mulberries (I have no idea what this would all be, but it sounds kinda interesting);

or

Warm Quinoa Bowl ~ quinoa, roasted brussel[ sic and in minuscule ] sprouts, sweet potatoes, kale (where I probably would have them add a soft boiled egg in the mix to make it more breakfastarily sound).

Additionally, they offer several other items at their Larkin Street location under the moniker Weekend "Brunch".





This Citrus Brioche was very good (just not anywhere as interesting as their Cardamom Lattice Bun that I had once before at their stand-alone bakery along Geary Boulevard). I ended up eating half of the brioche before the main meal was brought up to me and the other half after I had finished the meal to enjoy with the last of my Coffee.

This dish was basically your Shakshouka/Shakshuka/Chakchouka/شكشوكة‎ with black beans and Cheddar. I enjoyed it to the last drop... well, as best as I could. The olive bread toast that came with it was pretty d*rn tasty all on its ownsome and I probably mighta coulda used another slice of it with which to sop-up all the rest of the spicy tomato sauce. Of course, if they had given me two slices, I might not even have had to use any utensils to eat the meal (other than a knife maybe to cut up the baked eggs into scoopuppable[2] sized bites).

As far as any condimentary supplementation that 
Jane might have had to offer, none were needed and none were used. Their spicy tomato sauce was good enough for me.


(not really such a) Strange Coffee Interlude

Me: Which roast of Coffee do you have today?
Counter-lady/cash-taker person: I think it is a "medium roast"...
(Me thinking: Ohhhh-kay! How the h*ck can you be workin' in a coffeehouse/bakery-type joint and not really know what kinda Coffee you are serving?! If you worked at Mickey-D's Rainbow Room, would you inform me that in your burgers "none of our meats are vegetarian"?! *sigh*)
Me (instead): Thanks, that sounds good. I will have a cuppa that...

For the record, Jane roasts their own Coffee locally somewhere in the Mission. I really need to check that out one of these days, it would be fun to see how that operation is done. Thankfully, their Coffee is always first-rate (even if it is of unknown origin to the workers there). The last time I ate there, they had a blend/roast called Bread & Butter; however, I am not sure if that is the only Coffee which they offer.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Citrus Brioche ~ 7.1;
Spicy Baked Eggs ~ 7.0;
Coffee (whichever blend/roast it mighta been) ~ 7.2

___________________

1. St*pid, useless cunning linguist/pseudo-culinaristic pointer of the day:

"Brioche" most likely is derived from the Old French verb "brier", "a Norman dialectical form of broyer ("to grind, pound"), to work the dough with a broye or brie (a sort of wooden roller for kneading); the suffix -oche is a generic deverbal suffix.

2. Hey, it's a real word! Well, as much as "upscaley", "breakfastarily", "ownsome", or "culinaristic" are...

No comments:

Post a Comment