Sunday, March 31, 2019

Mama♥s on Washington Square


♪ "All the potatoes are brown(ed) and 
the sky is grey ... "  

(well, it really was more of a light fog and it cleared up much before 8:00am as soon as Mr. Sun crested Telegraph Hill)



http://www.mamas-sf.com/


Place: Mamas on Washington Square

Location: 1701 Stockton Street
(on the corner of Filbert Street)

Hours: open Tuesday through Sunday at 8:00am

MealMamas Children's Favorite (MOmelette) ~ sautéed mushrooms, green onions, roasted tomatoes, and Monterey Jack cheese, served with Mamas grilled potatoes and your choice of toast: white, whole grain, rye, English muffin, or sourdough baguette (I wisely went with the sourdough choice); and, to drink with the meal, a large glassa fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice




It turned out to be completely à propos that today is Mother's Day/Mothering Sunday in the United Kingdom, I already had planned on making a return visit (which I try to do at least once a year) to 
Mamaon Washington Square (see last 'blog-entry from Sunday, May 13th, 2018, which just happened to be the U.S. version of Mother's Day last year) for breakfast even before I had noticed the holiday on my calendar. Because this popular little (and by "little", I mean that they usually can seat only about forty people at a time) tourista-destination restaurant tends to fill up very quickly on the weekends, I made sure to get over there long before they opened; I think I arrived there around 7:15am. I prefer to spend the forty-five minutes waiting for them to open than to spend an additional forty-five minutes after they had already opened and the waiting line is half-way down the block (trust me, it happens all the time). As it was, I found a great parking spot directly across the street on the corner and ended up being the second "group" waiting in line to get in. And by the time that they did open up at 8:00am, the waiting line was much more than just forty people deep waiting to get inside. (What is that old rhyming saying? "If you sleep in, you do not win!"... or something like that.)

As many times as I have eaten at this restaurant, there are still a few other breakfastary menu items that I do want to try (or, possibly, try again if I had already tried them in the past and just do not recall):

Scrambled Florentine ~ baby spinach, bacon (nah!), red onions, and  Cheddar cheese; 

S.O.B. (South of the Border) (MOmelette) ~ (¿What did you just call me, pendejo?) chorizo, black beans, Spanish rice, pico de gallo, and pepper Jack cheese (where I would, of course, have ochent-y-seis-ed la p*nche salchicha);

or

Huevos Rancheros ~ two poached eggs, Spanish rice, black beans and avocado topped with Mamas 
ranchero sauce (which, surprisingly, I do not think that I had ever noticed before and will probably order the next time I go there).

Additionally, for those of you that do not mind eating any of that dead, decaying porky-stuff, this one would have been the perfect juxtaselection with the above EweToobular song: The Californian (MOmelette) ~ crispy bacon, avocado, and Monterey Jack cheese (and, yeah, I suppose that I could have ordered this one myself less the porcine-butt bits, but it is basically the same dish that I had ordered only yesterday).

Of course, if I ever did feel like having any "do-overs", their Apple Pan Dore (which I had a few years back) ~ slices of baguette topped with apples simmered in fresh squeezed lemon and butter (I am not sure how they fresh-squeeze their butter, though) ~ is always 
re-ordering worthy. It is seriously worth a trip "all the way over" to North Beach all on its ownsome.




This was another very good rendition of a MOmelette. The roasted tomatoes really stood out in this one. I think that if there had also been some kinda chilli pepper in the mix (Poblano or Anaheim/Ortega woulda gone very nicely), it would have really put this already very good meal over-the-top!

I was very pleasantly surprised by the toast being of the "baguette" variety. I was just expecting plain old sliced sourdough bread. This should truly be everyone's toast choice.

And, as always, their homefries were excellent, too.

Mamaon Washington Square carries the full assortment of the Standard San Francisco Triumvirate of Hot Sauces (Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce [Original Red Sauce], Cholula® Hot Sauce [Original], and Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce) as condimentary supplements. Once again, I used some more of my own Pepper Palace Chocolate Habanero Hot Sauce (Thanks, Cindy & Greg! ~ I am really getting close to the bottom of that d*mn bottle now) on the potatoes and some Fan the Flames Sriracha Hot Sauce (Thanks, Mom!) on top of the MOmelette. Plus, they have their own homemade (well, Mamas-made) raspberry jam(!) (Waiter/server-person guy: "Would you like some homemade raspberry jam?"; me: "Would you like a tip after I am done eating this meal?!") which really complemented the toasted sourdough baguette.


(another not really a) Strange Coffee Interlude

As has become an after-breakfast tradition whenever I eat in North Beach, I stopped by Caffe Trieste and had un doppio Espresso e un cannolo afterward. Their cannoli has bits of Chocolate in the ricotta filling and halved Maraschino cherries at each end of the tube.

http://coffee.caffetrieste.com/


the Wild Parrots of San Francisco Interlude

As soon as I had parked and exited my car, I looked up and saw a medium-sized pandemonium of fifteen (yeah, I actually bothered to count them all) caterwauling feather-brains flying directly over Washington Square Park.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Mamas Children's Favorite ~ 6.8;
Mamas-made raspberry jam(!) ~ 7.2;
uno doppio Espresso e uno cannolo ~ 6.9;
the Wild Parrots of San Francisco ~ 8.5

No comments:

Post a Comment