Saturday, November 6, 2010

Cafe Rain Tree

West Portal edition



As best as I can tell, there are two restaurants in San Francisco named Cafe Rain Tree (and both are sans accent aigu); they may or may not be related. There is one on Irving Street in the Sunset and one over on West Portal in the West Portal area. I went to the one in West Portal*/on West Portal; this happens to be just down the street from The Village Grill (see October 30th, 2010 entry) where I went last weekend.

(No website available. Really? What is this the 2000's?)


This is a simple enough local neighborhood joint; nothing really fancy about it or the menu. They offer several decent enough breakfast choices (no "Fritattas", though) and a few weekend specials. I went with one off their specials board: Mediterranean Scramble ~ Artichoke hearts, olives, onions (both white and green), tomatoes, and Feta cheese. Most egg breakfast dishes come with home fries and a choice of toast; my choice was English muffins. Pluses: there was lots of Feta and artichoke hearts, which is always a good thing. Minuses: the artichoke hearts were just the marinated variety and the olives were your standard canned/sliced black ones. If I were making this scramble (fat chance), I would have used whole, pitted Kalamata olives and brined artichoke hearts instead; even sliced green olives would have been a better addition.



They only have bottles of Crystal® Louisiana's Pure Hot Sauce on the tables, so I went with some Sylvia's Restaurant® Kickin' Hot ~ Hot Sauce on the home fries (actually I went with a lot of this today; "Thanks again, Sean!").

http://www.sylviassoulfood.com/KickingHotSauce.html


I skipped a cuppa coffee with breakfast as I knew the Peet's® down the street would have much better quality coffee. I had their Holiday Blend; Madonna (sorry, not you Ms. née Marcone, the other one) would be proud of this blend ~ very tasty and robusty (much like Nick Terlizzi's mom, I must say; "Hi, Madonna!").

http://www.peetscoffee.com/freshtruth/index.php?cm_re=topnav-_-link1-_-text&cm_sp=freshtruth-_-topnav-_-text


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qJaq3jv2P0



Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Mediterranean Scramble ~ 6.3; Peet's® Holiday Blend ~ 7.o


*(A brief history of West Portal if anyone is interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Portal,_San_Francisco )

No comments:

Post a Comment