Sunday, September 20, 2015

Cafe Golo ~ Boutique Cafe


Bourbon Brook take my brain?



http://cafegolo.com/

(However, their web-site doesn't appear to be working currently.)


Place: Cafe Golo ~ Boutique Cafe
Location: 1602 Lombard Street (at Gough Street)
Hours: open daily at 8:00am
Meal: Breakfast Burrito[1] ~ eggs, tomatoes, onions, (bell) peppers, and cheese; a side of Country Potatoes; and, to start, a Blueberry-Mango Tart  




(It's still Johnette Napolitano's birthday on September 22nd. The second song kinda sorta goes along with the newest addition to my hot sauce collection: drunks & Whiskey/Bourbon. Whatever.

And, yes, it did occur to me that I could have used Willie Nelson's song as a EweToobular juxtaselection, but it wasn't his birthday this week.)


I went back to Cafe Gol~ Boutique Cafe (see previous 'blog-entry from May 3rd, 2015) for breakfast this morning. So there's that. I arrived about fifteen minutes after they had opened and I was still the first person there. I remained the lone diner almost the entire time I was there (which did give me ample time to ask [bother... potato ~ tomato] Miss PeeBee and Jay lots of stupid questions about their pastries, hot sauces, Whiskey/Bourbon in use in cooking, and also their new restaurant Grits); a couple of couples did come in just before I had finished eating, though.




Blueberry-mango is always a good combination. I have had this one before (a few times, probably). I went there planning on getting whatever they had to offer seasonally that included blueberries. Their Sweet Potato Tart is one of my favourites, so I also had to get one of those to go for laters. Miss PeeBee told me that last month they had figs highlighted in both their fresh fruit salads and in a pastry. It is my opinion that 'mericans in general (and privatley, Soldier) do not eat enough fresh figs. Miss PeeBee also told me that next month when persimmons[2] are in season they will be using it in their fresh fruit salads and also doing a pastry with that fruit. Jay explained to me later what he has planned: persimmons and cranberries in a sort of bread pudding made with with an oat-crumble base ~ nice! Of course, this just means that I might have to go back again next month to check that out.




This was a good-sized and good-tasting burrito. The eggs were simply of the scrambled variety (as that makes the most sense to be included inside the tortilla roll-up). I bet this would have been even better if they included some of their Country Potatoes in with all the other ingredients, too. Their Country Potatoes are made with both regular and sweet potatoes and really are awesome.

Cafe Golo offers a pretty good selection of condimentary supplements, but I had just received a brand-new (as in given to me yesterday) bottle of hot sauce and wanted to try it out this morning. Pope's Whiskey River Hot Sauce (Thanks, Amy and Chef Joe!) is from Shaker Heights, Ohio (which was hand-carried all the way back from that far-away land of the Cleves). I made sure to use a good amount of it with my burrito. It wasn't extremely spicy, but I could really taste the Bourbon in this, too. (°hic°) I also brought along a bottle of my Palo Alto Firefighters Pepper Sauce (Thanks agains, Amys and Brian!), which I made sure to use ketchup-like all over the potatoes.



http://www.popeskitchen.com/products/whiskey-river-hot-sauce


A quick Grits update: they still have not opened up yet and Jay told me that it may be another six months now before they do so. Originally, it was supposed to have opened way back in April of 2014. I am looking forward to the new place (finally) opening. 


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Breakfast Burrito ~ 6.4; Blueberry-Mango Tart ~ 7.2; Sweet Potato Tart ~ 7.5; Pope's Whiskey River Hot Sauce ~ 6.8; 
Palo Alto Firefighters Pepper Sauce ~ 7.5


___________________

1. Stupid, useless cunning linguist/pseudo-culinaristic pointer of the day:

The word "burrito" means "little donkey" in Spanish, as a diminutive form of "burro" (or "donkey"). The name burrito as applied to the dish possibly derives from the appearance of bedrolls and packs that burros/donkeys carried.

2. Like blueberries and cranberries (and tomatoes and pumpkins), persimmons are technically a botanical berry.

No comments:

Post a Comment