Saturday, June 3, 2017

the Bistro Restaurant at Cliff House


My Breakfast with the Invisible Man...



https://cliffhouse.com/bistro/


Place: the Bistro Restaurant at Cliff House

Location: 1090 Point Lobos (at the end of the Earth/Ocean Beach, "Where San Francisco Begins")

Hours:  open for breakfast Monday - Saturday at 9:00am, Sunday at 8:30am

Meal: Joe's Special Scramble ~ scrambled eggs with sautéed ground beef (of course, I ordered this without the not-so-special grounded-up dead, decaying bovine stuff), onions, mushrooms, spinach, topped with Parmesan cheese, served with fresh fruit and roasted potatoes; a basket of three (3) (World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!); and a Ramos Fizz to drink





(Why these particular EweToobular juxtaselections this morning? Everyone knows that Claude Rains [and Spencer the Gardener and Queen] were [are] big fans of [World] Famous Cliff House Popovers[!].)


I didn't feel like faring out too far for breakfast this morning, so what would be a better way to keep it local and stay in my neighborhood than heading back once again to the Bistro Restaurant at Cliff House (see last 'blog-entry from Tuesday, March 14th, 2017)? Plus, they have these things called "(World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!)" that I have heard tell are pretty darn good.




Technically, this is one of the "Rocks" of Seal Rocks, but for today, I am renaming it "Pelican Rock" because of the large pouch[1] of pelicans seated on top of it this morning. "Wait. Can you just go renaming local mini-island landmarks like that, Brian?" Like hellican!

The people at the next table over from me spotted some whales (and everyone knows that whales should always be striped, not spotted), probably heading north to Alaska, Johnny, for the Summer. (That is, the whales were probably heading north to Alaska for the Summer. I have no idea which direction the people at the next table were heading after they ate their breakfast.)

There were lots of fishermen along Ocean Beach, but it was too cold and foggy/overcast for any surfers ~ or porpioses, even ~ offshore.




I was told that because they had omitted the offending beefy offal that they had renamed this dish "Joe's Not-So-Very Special Scramble" in my honour. There was a whole lotta mushrooms in this dish this morning; definitely not a meal for the fungophobes out there. I think they may have doubled the amount for me to make up for the lack of grinded-up animal flesh.

"But, Brian, if the Bistro Restaurant at Cliff House only offers four or five items suitable for stupid vegetarians, why do you keep going back again and again?!" I just have a one-word answer to that silly question: (World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!)!

Why a Ramos Fizz with the meal instead of a cuppa Coffee? Hey, the ingredients included both orange juice and egg whites, that sounded perfectly breakfastary to me. Normally a Ramos Fizz would be made with lemon juice, but I like this twist on it.

Today's side of fresh fruits included: watermelon (a true botanical berry), cantaloupe, honeydew melon, red table grapes (another true botanical berry ~ César Chávez be d*mned!), and a strawberry (not a true botanical berry).

For condimentary supplementation, the Bistro Restaurant at Cliff House has just Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce  ~ Original Red Sauce. I used some of my own Florida Gold Premium Habanero Hot Sauce (Thanks, Kerry! There is about one dosage [finally] left in that bottle now.) and some Palo Alto Fire Fighters XXX Ghost Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Brian!) on the potatoes (which I would always like more of).




Hollywoodland Spotlight of the Day

The autographed photo just above and behind me this morning was Claude Rains (10 November 1889 – 
30 May 1967). I think it is very cool that his photo is located on the same wall as one Humphrey DeForest Bogart.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001647/

The best part of having breakfast with the Invisible Man is that he never steals any of my (World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!), or, even if he did, I could see exactly where they were going. Of course, when it comes time to pick up the check, he's no where to be found...

"Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful breakfast..."


Up next:

Back to Sweet Maple (after a rather long extended absence)


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Joe's Not-So-Very Special Scramble ~ 6.5;
William Claude Rains ~ 7.0;
(World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!) ~ 8.2

___________________

1. Yes, I am well aware that the actual Term of Venery for a group of pelicans is a "pod", but I figured that if I could rename a small rock island in San Francisco, I could rename the collective noun for them, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment