Sunday, July 14, 2019

Breadbelly




https://breadbellysf.com/


Place: Breadbelly

Location: 1408 Clement Street 
(near the corner of 15th Avenue)

Hours: open at 8:00am Wednesday to Monday 
(so, basically, they are closed on Tuesdays)

Meal: Smashed Cucumber & Avocado (salad) ~ dressed with nam prik num (spicy Thai chili-lime vinaigrette)[1], sesame seeds, basils[ sics ]; to drink with the meal a glassa Mandarin Monkey ~ Orion Lager, mandarin, & OJ (I kid you not, Mike D!); and, afterward, as a breakfastary dessert-thing, a Bavarian Cream doughnut from Frena Bakery

https://www.orionbeer.co.jp/brand/draft/index.html

https://frenabakery.com/product/dozen-bavarian-cream-donuts





(I do not care how "reet" or "new" the "skank" is, I would rather stick with a Bavarian Cream doughnut, Chrissie.

And the second EweToobular video is just because I know that ol' Petey Gabbie is a big fan of orange juice-and-Beer for breakfast, too.)


Yeah. It was inevitable that I would return to Breadbelly (see last 'blog-entry from Sunday, June 16th, 2019) to try their version of a Brass Monkey[2].

With this morning's dish, I think that I have about now run through their gamut of st*pid vegetarian-friendly breakfast items, leaving only: Mushroom Barley Broth ~ Maitake & Enoki mushrooms, roasted barley tea, spring peas (I have no idea what this might look like or taste like, but I will try anything once... hence the Mandarin Monkey this morning). 

Additionally, there are a few more drink items that I do want to try:

Iced Sesame Horchata ~ oat+rice milk, Saigon cinnamon

and, off their "Specials" board,

Watermelon Lychee Tea (which is served cold; I asked).





With the drink and salad, this may have been one of 
the stranger breakfast combinations that I have had 
in a while.

Ya know, as disgusting as it sounds, the drink was really not half-bad (so I only drank the half-good part). Hey, do not judge me! It had both orange juice and mandarin bits in it, so that makes it breakfastarily sound. "But... Beer... for breakfast, Brian?!" Apparently, you did not see last Saturday's silly li'l 'blog-thing. This was made with a Japanese (Okinawan, to be exact) Beer, so I am not sure why it is labeled specifically as "Mandarin Monkey"; perhaps all the monkeys in Okinawa have swum over to mainland China. (And if you think this combination of Beer and orange juice is a bit strange, I would like to introduce you to a Montana Red Bird ~ made with Beer [usually a light Lager-style] and tomato juice.)

On a previous visit, one of the counter-server guys told me that the nam prik num dressing is made with fish-sauce in it, but they could make the salad with a different vinaigrette; so, they substituted a champagne vinaigrette for me instead. All in all, this was a pretty simple and basic dish. It was not really "smashed", but was made with a cubed avocado (about a whole half) and cucumbers, and with several halved cherry tomatoes; plus, a good amount of basils[ sics ] leaves/sprigs throughout. In my opinion, I think that it mighta coulda used just a little something extra in it: some fresh sliced jalapeños or pickled onions, perhaps. I also wonder if it could possibly be made with a poached egg on top.

I still have not bothered to ask what they might have to offer in the way of condimentary supplementation. I used some of my own Dragon's Lair Extra Hot Cayenne & Habanero Hot Sauce (Thanks, Mom!) all over the salad junk (mainly because it did not include any spicy Thai chili-lime vinaigrette) and a couple of shakes of McCormick® Grill Mates® Smokehouse Maple Seasoning on top, too. The Grill Mates® dealie is brand new to my condimentary arsenal; I just bought it last weekend because I was all out of both black pepper and grains of paradise and wanted to try something new. While this is not really a "salt-substitute" ~ as the first ingredient listed is "salt" ~ I did like the flavour it added... I am just not exactly sure how the "natural flavor (including smoke)" is included (there are probably some mirrors involved in the manufacturing process).

https://www.mccormick.com/grill-mates/flavors/seasoning-blends/grill-mates-smokehouse-maple-seasoning


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Smashed Cucumber & Avocado ~ 6.3;
Brass Monkey-thing ~ 6.5;
Bavarian Cream doughnut ~ 6.7

___________________

1. http://thaifoodparadise.com/recipe/nam-prik-noom-recipe-northern-thai-green-chili-dip/

2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass_Monkey_(cocktail)

No comments:

Post a Comment