Sunday, April 25, 2010

Boogaloos

Do you love me (now that I can dance)?


















Boogaloos is located in the Mission District in a space that once housed an old drug store (the sign on the outside says "Since 1891", so this building survived the 1906 Earthquake). There is always interesting music being played here; today it was 60's Motown: "I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch)" ~ the Four Tops; "Where Did Our Love Go" ~ the Supremes; "My Girl" ~ the Temptations; as well as the subtitled song above by the Contours. Good food and good music, what else could you ask for early in the morning?

Boogaloos is a very family- and vegetarian-friendly restaurant. There are toys and books for the kiddies and lots of vegetarian choices on the menu: "Boogaloo Classic" (2 eggs any style, home fries, and a biscuit smothered in vegetarian herb-cream gravy, topped with green onions); "Harvey's Vegan Chorizo Hash" (2 eggs any style in a pile of vegan chorizo hash with greens onions and tortillas); "Desayuno Tipico" (2 eggs any style, grilled plantain cake topped with tamarind sour cream, served with black beans and corn tortillas); along with several other good ones. There are several booths for larger groups and lots of outside seating, too.

www.boogaloossf.com


I have tried most of their vegetarian fare and it was a toss-up today between "Desayuno Tipico" and "Harvey's Vegan Chorizo Hash" ~ I opted for the latter, as it is one of my favourites there; but would have been just as happy with the other. I had it with eggs over medium. This is a pretty hearty meal with lots of diced potatoes and the vegan chorizo. One time I made the mistake of ordering a side order of home fries to go with the meal (what can I say, I like potatoes) it was a little bit too much on the potato side. I think it is kinda funny that they offer a "Vegan Hash" that come with eggs ~ I didn’t notice a "Jumbo Shrimp Omelet" on the menu, though (I don't mind a good oxymoron, but I draw the line at ign'ant cows). Plus, if you knew my friend Harvey, he surely ain’t no Vegan…





I also ordered a fresh (house-) squeezed grapefruit juice and a cup of coffee. I normally take my coffee unsweetened, but they have "real" maple syrup on the tables and it has become a tradition with me to add some to my coffee whenever I eat here. There is only Tapatio® on the tables. Luckily, I had brought along Cholula® and El Yucateco® ~ the hash was spicy enough already and really didn’t need any extra flavour, but I still added some of the Chipotle Habañero anyway.

Again, if I had any "kompyutery no-how", I would have provided a link here with the Contours song.

Luckily, I didn’t have to dance for my breakfast…


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Harvey's Hash ~ 7.0; Coffee ~ 6.3; Music ~ 6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment